Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 My Son shot these Turkeys >

My Son shot these Turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My Son shot these Turkeys

Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My Son shot these Turkeys

Great video!!!

I don't know but with over 20 years experience hunting turkeys on both public and private land, fall or spring,I've found turkeys pretty much act like turkeys...I've hadturkeys on several occassionsalmost step on me on public landthey were so close...I don't think it's the turkeys being weirybut maybe the way your hunting them.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Good video

I agree withTPhunter turkeys are turkeys get up a little earlier and stop whining

Quote "Public land will make a hunter out of ya!!!
Private property hunters don't impress me... "

Thats some funny stuff right there.

Here's another one for ya "if ya hunt public land ya don't have to worry about tresspassers"
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

Longbeard...You seem to have a Chip on your Shoulder. Its almost like if anyone don't hunt Public land they are not a Turkey Hunter.

I'll make a case for Private Land Hunters.

Anyone who hunts Public Land has an advantage, Turkeys are Stocked for them, brought in from other Counties, They have Game Wardens who set up Traps for the Poachers(This can't be done on Private land) They put out Food Plots in every year for the Turkeys. They have nice Walk in paths and Good Roads. Just some more FREE Government Hand outs. The majority hunt Private Land and this gives Public Land hunters the advantage. Public Land Hunters are a Lazy bunch of hunters who won't work to support wild life. Who look foward to being on WellFare and hate everyone who has a job!

TF
Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Public land you can go where ever you want.

Priviate land Turkey's don't get pressured too?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Spike

These birds are from a flock of 80-100 that roost near the house. The rancher is feeding corn on the road and that is what calls them so close. In the spring they scatter, plus the sheep are back to grazing. This particular flock has roosted there for at least 15 years. THere are several other groups with some very nice gobblers. Last year the conditions were perfect for the flock and the population has exploded.

Spring hunts are exiting and not as easy you might think. If you can call birds you are in for a exiting hunt. I wouldn't let anyone hunt the front yard anyway, just because we have an abundance of game does not mean our hunts arn't exiting.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

These birdshave been hand fed since they were hatched!![8D]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems we have this arguement with Mr. Longbeard about public vs. private every year. Jakes, whether on public or private, are not the wariest of creatures. I promise you, a private land birdCAN be just as difficult to killas a public land bird, pressure or no pressure. Of course that's not always the case, such as some ranches in Texas.I'm very glad I own land and don't have to hunt public. At least I don't have to put up withSOME of thepublic land yahoos that make the birds wary. Let me please point out that not all public land hunters are yahoos, but even you experienced public land hunters know what I'm talking about.The birds on my land,I can promise you, will not walk up to you and feed out of your hand. They are just as wild and wary as any public bird.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Very good point superstrutter -I wonder what category somewho poo-pooed that video fall into from what you wrote above. Seems like the bashing some have written - well again they left their ethics in the truck.

And I would rather hunt private - why - well to me the birds and a mature bird is what I am after are jut as wary....I see no difference.....the BIG DIFFERENCE - is I don't have to put up with Yahoos sneakin' in, bustin' my set-up or worry that much I am going to get shot!

By ethics - let me state -

You see a truck even on a bird you roosted on public land - too bad - move on and find another spot - be earlier next time....
Just because you ahve set up a blind on public - if someone else is there before you - too bad they have as much right there as you do - and to me 1st come 1st serve......

Public means it is open to everyone

AND

Once again let me point out that those are JAKES.....who learn as they grow if they can grow by not being eaten or shot! AND we all know JAKES are stoopid to a point they come into just about anything.......

Hey High - thanks!

JW
Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

mr longbeard,

Think you need to lighten up some. The man was sharing something some of us find interesting and fun to watch.

I hunt 1000 acres of private property, no fences, with private property on all sides. Our land is divided, about 400 acres of planted pines, rest is low land (river )hardwood swamps with sloughs running thru it and palmettos so thick and tall you can't see over them when sitting on the ground.

I've had turkeys walk within 5 feet of me, not to mention deer and wild hogs. I must have deleted or lost some photos of a turkey I killed last year, wish I could find it and send it to you. Then I'd like you to tell me how close I was when I shot it, and it was a mature tom. I believe I sent JW! a photo of that bird and I also believe he will back me up when I say that bird was almost in my lap. You could have guessed by the damage done to it's head.

Private or Public land, I'll take the private any day! When I talk about private, it's probably more wild than any public land the average hunter gets to hunt. I have never charged anybody a dime to come hunt with me, but in your case, I'll make you offer to see how good a turkey hunter you are. Our season in GA. opens Mar. 22nd and runs thru May 15th. For a $1000.00, I'll turn you lose on 600 acres of this land (swamp land), show you the property lines and you have to stay on our land and can't shoot across the lines, I'll give you 3 days to hunt during the last 2 weeks of our season,now put your money where your mouth is if you think private land is so easy to hunt.

One other thing, there's two of us that are dedicated turkey hunters that hunt this land, a third one gives up after the 1st or 2nd week, so there's really no pressure, no vehicles running all over the roads (we don't allow it). I'll drive youto the edge of this 600 acres of swamp land and put you out and sit at the truck and drink coffee and wait on you each day, may even take a nap.

One other thing you'll have to agree on, if you don't kill a tom that weighs over 20 pounds, you have to pay me another $500.00 for puting up with you.

Got any money?

dog1
Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO!!!!!!LMAO!!!!ROFL!!!!!!!This thread is to funny...I still enjoy the clip Lonesome,Jakes can be curious...A few harvested birds and that wouldn't be happeningYou can learn alot by being closeand observingbirds like these in listening to turkey talk,and there overall behaviour of a wild turkey flock.Its amazing the sounds they vocalize when you can hear up close and personal like that...

Quick Reply: My Son shot these Turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.