Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Kill Zone ????

Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Kill Zone ????

Just picked up the Hunter's Specility Turkey head targets. It says when shoting at 30yrds. you want a minimum of 5 pellets in the kill zone. What hte kill zone happen to be any where in the neck area,and is 5 really sufficiant?....
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kill Zone ????

I ussually say 7 but I can see where 5 is ok.... I just put a big friggin hole in paper if I can though....
Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 PM

well I am reading that you dont want to rip the paper.As you want to put as many in the kill area without tearing the paper. Now is this true or am I starting to read to deep into this...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll go ahead and say it (eventually somebody will), but you only need one pellet to hit the brain / spinal cord to drop the bird in his tracks. Typically, around 15 or so would suffice. When you are out patterning, make sure to look for holes in your pattern. You will want a nice even pattern. Many turkey hunters are starting to use the 3" and 10" circle method. You want to get around 150 or more pellets in a 10" circle with no big holes in your pattern.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

The targets I have used have a shaded area in the turkey's neckvertebrae& brain. That's the kill zone. A single pellet pentrating the bonewill do the job---but they say that at least 5 because it's insurance & more is better. At 30 yards you should have alot more than 5. My standard full choke gives me 11 #6's @40 yards---7 to 9 #4's @40 yards.That's in the kill zone, bone hits, not just neck muscle. I use #4's because I like the larger pellets for down range energy. I killed gobblers with 6's & 4's . I've found 6's in the feathers of the gobblers I killed---meaning they didn't penetrate---the did nothing to kill the bird----more pellets in 6's but if they don't all penetrate what do you gain. I've never found a #4 in the feathers of any of the gobblers.

You'll find that every turkey hunters has anopinion on the size of shot. CB
Old 01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

The targets I have used have a shaded area in the turkey's neckvertebrae& brain. That's the kill zone. A single pellet pentrating the bonewill do the job---but they say that at least 5 because it's insurance & more is better.

Finally!!!! Someone that actually knows what there talking about... Good advise