Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Input on a new turkey gun >

Input on a new turkey gun

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Input on a new turkey gun

Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Input on a new turkey gun

I know it kicks harder, but I'm buying a very lightly used 835 this year. My friend is AR about his guns and takes very good care of them. I've probably been with him for every round he fired out of this gun. He wasn't happy with the finish on the barrel when he bought it, had mossberg re-dip it. He also got a cantilever rifled barrel for slugs, dipped it in matching camo, put a nikon scope on it, and it has a Sims recoil pad. I'm paying him $400 for the whole deal. Oh yeah, he's got a pure gold turkey choke too.. I think its a pretty good deal. I've been using my 870, but I have a 28" barrel and that thing is long and heavy to lug around. I LOVE the gun, but I want something shorter and lighter and this 835 might be the ticket for me.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

sucks u are shying away from the Mossberg. I got a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag two years ago for turkey and i absolutely love it. Ive never shot a better shotgun, especially for turkeys. It shoots 2 3/4" to 3 1/2". Very nice gun, you WONT be dissapointed, i promise you.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Spike

If you are going to do any other shooting say sporting clays or any multiple target shooting a semi auto may be worth a look. I bit the bullet so to speak and got my wife a beretta al 391. Granted this is a cashy gun. At the time it was 750$. But it has had a couple of thousand rounds through it without a hitch. I t has killed bird at 40 yds with 5's and a comp-n-choke.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default stoeger 12 ga.

Originally Posted by Rory/MO
a stoeger model 2000 is a basically half price benelli
i love mine to death
give them a long look
i like my side by side stoeger looks like my old stevens 311 with interchangeable chokes i wish both barrels would hit in the same city block ! right barrel strikes 2' low and 1' right left barrel 6" low and 1.5' left does'nt like to open after firing a long brass shell not a good sign . benelli imports them im sending mine in hope they can fix just fyi.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Think turkey & waterfowl..........................

http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Fie...2&idv=1&id=894

Now you're talking !!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Go with the remington 1100. Takes 2 3/4 and is good to prob 35-40 yards. great turkey gun! It's killed many through the years!!!!!
BigBuck95
Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

If money is not an issue a remington sp-10 10 ga semi automatic would be a good turkey gun I have one and the recoil is not as bad as most 12 ga guns. I also have a browning bps and would highly recommend this gun as well in 10 ga the weight will knock the recoil way down even with a 2 1/4 oz turkey load in the bps 10. My sp-10 is the one with the thumbhole stock 23" barrel it has a really thick recoil pad as well and rifled sights it also comes with a briley turkey tube. Give these guns a look. and remember the lighter 12 ga 3.5 inch guns will have more recoil then most 10 ga guns will. I paid 1499.00 at a local shop for the sp-10 brand new they were having a sale.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have hunted with a supernova 12 guage for years and it works great but it does kick (noticable when patterning but not in the field). Last year I bought a Browning Gold 10 quage NWTF special and there is no comparison. The Browning 10 does not kick as hard and using the turkey choke that came with it and Nitro's 3.5 inch 4,5&7 combination I get an awsome pattern. Yesterday I dropped a two year old at 47 paces and his head was nearly shredded. Personally, I like to get birds up close but due to the set up I couldn't get him much closer and I had misjudged the distance (I was thinking it was more like 35 paces). The Browining made up for my mistake.

Although the barrel is a little short I have also used the gun for ducks and geese and it works very well for them as well.

The only problem I have found is that the ammunition is much more expensive just because there is not much of it out there (the market is dominated by the 12 guage so 10s cost more).
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 AM
G92
Fork Horn

ive shot the nova ,the superX2 ,SBE,M2 ,and the stoger 2000, and imo the superX2 is by far the best,but for the price the nova is a great gun,i dont feel the kick.if your looking for a 3 in gun the stoger 2000 is good and also cheap,if you want it for whaterfowl not the best tho,it dosnt seem to like cold weather
Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkeygirl2
Well almost 25 isn't too young,lolI could probably handle a 3.5" but I'm sure they'd probably be more kick than I want. I need to get out and handle a few guns, that's for sure.
Exactly, you need to go handle a few guns before you make up your mind. I bought my son a Remington 870 20 gauge in camo. We installed a Primos Jellyhead choke tube, a set of tru-glow sights and when shooting 3" Hevi-13 #5s, that thing is a serious turkey killing machine.

See

This is going to be your gun so take your time and if possible, shoot a few with heavy loads to see how the recoil effects you. Good luck to ya!!!

Quick Reply: Input on a new turkey gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.