HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   how do you hunt spring gobblers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/226947-how-do-you-hunt-spring-gobblers.html)

Rory/MO 01-12-2008 09:31 PM

how do you hunt spring gobblers?

do you guys "run-n-gun" or sit it out?

Wingbone 01-13-2008 03:23 AM

RE: how do you hunt spring gobblers?

Some guys run and gun, some guys sit. They all kill gobblers. I do both depending on the time of day and the type of day.

Simp 01-13-2008 06:31 AM

Exactly. I'll sit until the birds make me move.

Ky Turkey Hunter91 01-13-2008 06:34 AM

I have hunted from a blind all day before and i have picked up just after fly down and start runnin and gunnin.Just depends on weather and situation.One morning me and dad was walking in through a field and had our flashlights on and some guys pulled up and parked,they had to see us walking through a wide open field with a flashlight before daylight or they dont need to be hunting.we was not 80 yards from them when they parked.Well they come right on down and we had no longer than got set up and they sarted calling and makin all kinds of rackit and the turkeys was not roosting 50 yards from us but we just slipped on down in the holler and left them alone and the turkeys followed us and came down where we was at,so we where running and gunning that morning.

Arrowmaster 01-13-2008 07:26 AM

I myself dont run and gun much anymore. Although Ive been successful doing it that way. Ive gotten to where I know my area very well and know how the turkeys are moving. Anymore I basically set and have patience. If I havent seen or heard anything for a couple hours or more then I will pick up and move to my second selection to hunt. I will do the same thing there. Ive killed more toms being patient than I have running and gunning.

gamespooker 01-13-2008 09:10 AM

Run and gun. don't get me wrong, I love to turkey hunt.but i just don't have the patience to sit in one spot for too long if there is nothing going on. I can sit in a der stand all day, but not turkey hunting for some reason. locate, move, and setup.

Bobgobble2 01-13-2008 09:59 AM

When I was younger I was a bigtime run-n-gunner.Less hunters alot more vocal receptive birds had alot to do with that,nowadays I scout most of my ground out and have hunted the same ground for years.I pretty much know my birds before season starts and I truly enjoy targeting certain birds.With this in mind I'm alot morepatient hunter and will sit for hours if I'm confident birdsare in my area or will be....:)Bob.

Charlie P 01-13-2008 10:51 AM

Scout and then give the birds want on that day. Or how I'm feeling that day.

Some day's I can be really apatient and others I'm in a what's over the next ridge mentality. Don't get discourged because both will work and both will frustrate. I guarentee you you'll move get to another spot where you can hear well and call and the birds will be right where you left, and other times you call and hear/work a bird you wouldn't have if you sat there.

One spot a sit you can hear birds from a very long distance even in bad conditions it's a good place to hear birds. It's funny how many times I sit there nothing will gobble and then I hear multiple gobbles,

If you know a spot where you see birds regulary at certain times of the day and ignore that fact your crazy,especially if nothing is going on.

I was hunting with a guy on land he had permission we couldn't get birds to gobble, I say to him" any idea's?" He looks at me and say's "well I've been seeing them in this field alot from 9-11?" It was about 10:30 I just shook my head and asked "you waited until 10:30 because............. why?"

Rory/MO 01-13-2008 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: gamespooker

Run and gun. don't get me wrong, I love to turkey hunt.but i just don't have the patience to sit in one spot for too long if there is nothing going on. I can sit in a der stand all day, but not turkey hunting for some reason. locate, move, and setup.
same here bro
i can sit in a deer stand all day long
but i keep that to deer season
turkey season is where i try to make the action happen

Arrowmaster 01-13-2008 06:09 PM

One thing Ive learned from run and gun is you will spook more birds than ya will setting and being patient. Just my thoughts...