Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 how do you hunt spring gobblers? >

how do you hunt spring gobblers?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do you hunt spring gobblers?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how do you hunt spring gobblers?

you will spook many birds running and gunning when you first begin but you learn the "ropes" very quick
theres a very steep learning curve involved
One thing Ive learned from run and gun is you will spook more birds than ya will setting and being patient. Just my thoughts...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I go out and scout a couple of weeks before season, I have an idea of where the birds are coming from and going to, so I start out sitting and waiting. As any turkey hunter knows, that doesn't always work and when I feel the birds are working in another direction, I adjust accordingly. Last year I setup in an open field where I had seen the birds moving through the week before the season started and shot two nice gobblers in one shot!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Run and gun. It's just more fun. Notice, that I didn't say it was more effective.....that would depend on the situation. I'm very aggressive----and I'm sure that costs me some turkeys---and probably gets me some, too. Its all about the fun for me---not so much about the harvest. I will tone it down if I'm having to share turkeys with other hunters---don't want to ruin their future hunts by scaring all the turkeys.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I usually have scouted out my areas and set up my blind at one of them. Then when I feel confident about where to set up, I go and sit.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

you will spook many birds running and gunning when you first begin but you learn the "ropes" very quick
theres a very steep learning curve involved
Please explain how you go about not spooking birds when you run and gun? Maybe you can reduce the amount of birds but eliminate the problem,I don't think so. Especially if birds aren't responding.

I know a guide that runs and guns mostly and really doesn't care if he spook birds that aren't responding but he hunts about 7 different states and a ton of different area's so educating birds isn't a concern for him.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

Run and gun. It's just more fun. Notice, that I didn't say it was more effective.....that would depend on the situation. I'm very aggressive----and I'm sure that costs me some turkeys---and probably gets me some, too. Its all about the fun for me---not so much about the harvest. I will tone it down if I'm having to share turkeys with other hunters---don't want to ruin their future hunts by scaring all the turkeys.
HHMMMM I am having fun too........
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

my dads killed over 50 turkeys in 25 years doing this. i would say after you get the hang of it its more effective too
Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes we push the turkeys to get them coming our way, then we start calling them in, it usually works good, or we just do a full blown turkey drive.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Some guys run and gun, some guys sit. They all kill gobblers. I do both depending on the time of day and the type of day.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM

walk in the creek...strikea bird...kill him..very good technique..no noise...

Quick Reply: how do you hunt spring gobblers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.