HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Experienced turkey hunter needed!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/224639-experienced-turkey-hunter-needed.html)

Raylachance 12-28-2007 04:34 PM

Experienced turkey hunter needed!!!

Ok heres my situation i live in quebec canada, i recently discovered a medium sized flock of turkeys on the lot that i hunt deer on :)unfortunately i have never hunted the so i need some advice, but first ill give you alittle more info, these turkey have never been hunted before, in quebec you may only hunt turkey in the fall, all turkey are free game(hen,tom,jake), and there is no bag limit. anyways i need to know what shells to use in my 12 ga, and pretty much how to hunt a turkey !!!! thank you

Adrian J Hare 12-28-2007 07:16 PM

RE: Experienced turkey hunter needed!!!

I think you better look back into this, because Quebec I know has a limited Spring season with only a few areas open. I work the Montreal show down town in Febuary and have been promoting Turkey Calls for the last few years at this show.

Hope that starts you off right ...

Warkie 12-29-2007 05:47 AM

There is no fall season in Ontario so I can't give you any personal advice on the best way to set up. Shot selection obviously depends on what patterns the best out of your gun but I use 2oz. #6shot with the Undertaker turkey choke. Works great for me. Good luck.
[align=left] [/align]

Gamblinman 12-29-2007 07:53 AM

After checking the regualtions at the site below,

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/hunting-regulations/calendar-limits/small-game.asp

It appears that there isa limited fall season, but no spring season is listed, however, these regulations only go as far as the end of the present year.

Hunting fall turkey is basically done by patterning the flocks travel routes and setting up an ambush.

Raylachance 12-29-2007 12:18 PM

Well excuse me to everyone i just checked and in 2008 for the first time there is a spring hunt and no fall hunt the spring hunt is from the 2nd of may to the 6th and only beared turkeys are far game sorry for the confusion

Adrian J Hare 12-29-2007 06:44 PM

Ray , now I'm really confused [&:]

I just answered your PM. No one is calling you wrong so don't take it the wrong way. I know Quebec has had this whole issue mixed up and in the past couple years the NWTF has been trying to work with them on this issue. The last I heard was they were trapping birds in Ontario and taking them to Quebec to help support a population to get a hunt started.

I hope they are doing it right, because I hate to see birds being moved to an area with no control in reguations. I seen this in Ontario back 7-8 yards ago and things came to a very quick stop for the people that puts the time into it.

Fall hunting is every bit as exciting as the spring only done a little different. As far as equipment , you need all the same stuff...

MichiganWhitetails74 12-29-2007 07:53 PM

I am use to hunting spring turkeys...but here's the short story

Camo - Full Camo make yourself look like your surroundings

Calls - A reed & box call...short yelps. Yelp Yelp Yelp Yelp...at the crack of dawn

Ammo - 3 inch magnum 4 shot

2 decoys - Jake and a Hen

No movement...do not move an inch...set up against a tree and rest your gun on your knee with your finger near the trigger....no movement...Good Luck!

bradisthebest 12-30-2007 10:16 PM

The population in Quebec for the turkeys is starting to increase and my understanding is that Ontario and the NWTF has stopped the trap and transfer of any more birds to quebec.