Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A question of ethics...

Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default A question of ethics...

Is it ok (legally and ethically)to shoot Turkeys out of trees?
Will they bug out of the trees whenapproached?

The past two weekends Ihave had birds roosting right across the road from one of my stands and I have been contemplating whether or not to stroll over and take one out.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A question of ethics...

dont know your laws, but in wisconsin it is NOT legal.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not legal in Texas, and not ethical in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's up to you whether it's ethical or not. Most turkey hunters would not do it, but if it's legal then that's the hunters decision. Personally a have not shotnor will not shoot one on roost, but that doesn't mean someone else can't, as long as it's legal.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input. I went to the Illinois DNR website and it says that is unlawful to shoot a Turkey from a roost before 7:00 a.m. So it is legal.

As far as I am concerned, if it's legal then it is ethical.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Law and ethics very rarely seem to be one and the same Bowflex. I would be disappointed to see you justify shooting a roosted turkey because of the "law". It certainly is your choice but is very widely recognized as not very ethical. It is technically legal here in Ontario as well. This was born out of the fact that the government who regulates hunting activity had little to no understanding of the traditions of wild turkey hunting when our season began more than 20 yrs ago after the re-introduction. In general they remain largely ignorant and I believe they ultimatley enjoy increased revenue from tag purchases from more "successful" turkey hunters being able to kill birds this way.

So the law here, at least in part, is basedon revenue. Hardly a good measuring stick when it comes to determining ethical standards in harvesting game animals.

I am trying to think of an example of another species that this would be similar to in terms of hunting skill. I think maybe pulling up to the side of the road and shooting a deer with a high powered rifle out of your window might work. Yes, I know this activity is illegal but I am talking about it from a hunting aspect not game laws.

A lot of the time they will bust off the limb but many other times, particularily at this time of year I have found, they will be easy pickings. Not really sporting, not really challenging, and I don't think most would consider it really enjoyable. Is it ethical? Well ultimatley that's personal to each of us but I sure would give that a big NO!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: OntElk

Law and ethics very rarely seem to be one and the same Bowflex. I would be disappointed to see you justify shooting a roosted turkey because of the "law". It certainly is your choice but is very widely recognized as not very ethical. It is technically legal here in Ontario as well. This was born out of the fact that the government who regulates hunting activity had little to no understanding of the traditions of wild turkey hunting when our season began more than 20 yrs ago after the re-introduction. In general they remain largely ignorant and I believe they ultimatley enjoy increased revenue from tag purchases from more "successful" turkey hunters being able to kill birds this way.

So the law here, at least in part, is basedon revenue. Hardly a good measuring stick when it comes to determining ethical standards in harvesting game animals.

I am trying to think of an example of another species that this would be similar to in terms of hunting skill. I think maybe pulling up to the side of the road and shooting a deer with a high powered rifle out of your window might work. Yes, I know this activity is illegal but I am talking about it from a hunting aspect not game laws.

A lot of the time they will bust off the limb but many other times, particularily at this time of year I have found, they will be easy pickings. Not really sporting, not really challenging, and I don't think most would consider it really enjoyable. Is it ethical? Well ultimatley that's personal to each of us but I sure would give that a big NO!

Thanks for your very candid reply. After giving it much thought I really do agree with you. I consider myself an honest and ethical hunter and I think my recent frustrations in the woodshad alot to do with the original question. (I blew an easy 20 yard shot on a lone Tom and have been kicking myself since.) I did harvest a doe this year and just haven't had the opportunities that I have had the last two years.

What you said about it not being enjoyable is what really turned me around. There is no greater satisfaction than making a perfect bow shot on an animal and having it go down cleanly and without suffering. This past June I took my first black bear in Manitoba, an eighteen yard shot with a fifteen foot recovery. I replay that in my mind a couple of times a week and I still get a thrill just thinking about it.

Thanks again buddy.
Bowflex
Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

A true hunter

Congrats on the bear and Doe!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

The experience makes it what it is....If you need the meat and it is legal I would never knock ya for it,but it sounds like you are a hunter and it wouldn't light the fire the same as it would if you stalked or called one in! IMHO outsmarting them inBETWEEN feed and roost in the afternoonis a cool and different way to hunt them, kinda like deer hunting!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Bowflex,

You display openmindedness and maturity to re-consider, when presented with another point of view!

Quick Reply: A question of ethics...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.