Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Baby Turkeys

Old 07-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baby Turkeys

yeah i know, i've seen strutting hens before too.... usually the jakes are taller than the jennies, maybe not the first 3-4 weeksm but after that you tend to tell....or at least i can.....thats a cool pic.......
i used to know a hen that would strut and she would even try to gobble, she was a mean ol thing,would leave lil bites markson me and if you havent been bitten by a turkey, it can hurt, lol....then the gobbler would lay on the eggs while she was off galavanting around lol......
Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Below is a Rio Hen "struting" to aid her grooming procedures...

[/quote]

It looks like that hen in the above pic is just "fluffing" her feather's out after dusting herself.That's not an actual hen strut. I've seen other pic's where the hen actually struts like a gobbler, tail fanned out etc. Cool pic's though!!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 AM

Yes but I was only trying to reinforce the fact that just because it poofs up feathers doesnt always mean its a jake/gobbler...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

I think by nature, they are born 52/48 % male/female
... That means out of a 100 poults hatched, 52will be male, 48 will be female...
No, that is not what that means.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didnt know that hens could "strut." Pretty neat; you learn new things everyday.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes but I was only trying to reinforce the fact that just because it poofs up feathers doesnt always mean its a jake/gobbler...
i actually dont tell by the feathers being fluffed, you can tell by the size, thier heads annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd thier behavior...there is a difference between fluffy and strutin'...... i know them, just didnt want to call you out and hurt your feelings....i've been around turkeys in the wild and penned for the last 6 years, almost everyday, just because i say i see one strutting doesn't mean that is how i judge thier sex...it's their mannerism(sp?) as well.....sorry if i over reacted, butthis reply just rubbed me all wrong, lol...
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

I think by nature, they are born 52/48 % male/female
... That means out of a 100 poults hatched, 52will be male, 48 will be female...
No, that is not what that means.
theoretically speaking, thats exactly what that means... 100 % of poults - 52% male= 48% female no? I didnt reply to starta pissing match between you two, but those are numbers that a wildlife biologist in SC shared with me from some experiments performed by the SC DNR...

Lets try rational math logic shall we, out of 10 total, 52% would equal 5.2, stay with me, and 48% would equal 4.8, still with me? So move the decimal ( this thingy [.]) one value place to the right (---> this way) and you get 100!, 52 % of 100=52 and 48% of 100=48...

Now as far as "Fluffing", "poofing", and "struting" are concerned, ALL I WAS TRYING TO DO WAS SHARE THE FACT THAT ALL WILD TURKEYS POSSESS THE ABILITY TO "Fluff", "Poof", and/or "Strut"... WHICH MAKES THIS AN INVALID WAY TO DETERMINE GENDER OF SAID TURKEY. Again, I was trying not to step on your toes, or "call you out" on it, but rather have an adult disscusion on the matter.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

like i said i may of over reacted, but regardless i wasnt having a pissing match as you put it....the way i read it , you were pretty much thinking that is how i judged the sex and i took offense to it because i'm not a total dumba$$, lol.....so i voiced myopinion...didnt want you getting your boxers in a bunch, that is why i said i may of over reacted, blah blah blah.....pissing match is now over.....lol, at least my part of it...lol
Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.