Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spurrs or Beard

Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spurrs or Beard

Spurs all the way!! Well, I like to weight too. Of course I like having nice beards but it isn't always a true indicator. I shot a turkey this year with one of the best beards I've ever taken and he also has some of the smallest spurs I've ever shot. The way I see it, I'd like for him to have at least 1.5" spurs, 11" beard, and come in around 25lbs.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spurs or Beard

Beard first, then after he is down check on the spurs. I get more excited about seeing him strut and hearing him gobble.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Yellowhammer

Beard first, then after he is down check on the spurs. I get more excited about seeing him strut and hearing him gobble.
Right on the money,,me too!!I like long thick beards,but take all that gobblin and struttin out of there and it would take a whole lot of the excitement out of it.I've had many hunts that I remember not by how long the beard was or sharp the spurs were but by how much the bird did or didn't gobble!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldn't agree more. If a bird didn't come in strutting and spitting and drummin would it be as exciting. I know i could care less if he is a trophy or not i just relish in the fact that i called him in and was able to harvest the bird in the first place.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Jake walks - Tom dies - I'm not partial to any size really - if it has a beard it will be in the freezer - I am fortunate to hunt in an area abundant in mature toms - Every year I bag at least one mature tom from the area - I figure thatletting the jakes walk seals another tom for next year - I also consider bagging any mature tom and trophy of a hunt!On another note - I have bagged birds with long beards - I am talking 11-12 inches in length - 25 pounds or better with short spurs - so if you are considering spur length as a guage to trophyism it is probably a good guage! Until I bag a beard that's 25pounds with 4 inch beard and 1.25 inch spurs will only I change my vision about trophyism(made up word)
Old 07-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

In a trophy turkey i really like the beard more than i do the spurs
Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

i can tell this answer will sound weard but i dont care about spurs ther kind of stupid there little hooks coming out of there legs i think the beard is the coolest spurs just dont do anything for me. its kinda like you shot a deer so keep the jaw bones not the rack because the jaw bones tell the deers age.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Spurs for me. Alot of times you should know what kind of spurs he has by how many times you have called to him or how long that morning you have messed with him. i called one up for my buddy and we messed with him for 4.5 hours before he finally shot him, He had 10.5 inch beard but 1 13/16 spurs only weighed 16.5 pounds, but for an an old swamp osceola it don't get no better. People who know turkeys just gawk at those spurs when they see them.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

I look for the density of the beard. the thicker the beard, the older the bird (unless he's got more then one!!) length isnt a real big deal to me, i like a nice fat bird though!