HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What did you learn this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/193435-what-did-you-learn-year.html)

Arrowmaster 06-05-2007 06:14 PM

RE: What did you learn this year?

I learned this year from the Indiana season I need to pull the trigger. hehehehehe Instead of second guessing my yardage. I mean its not like I dont pattern and I have an awesome shooting gun. I just like em to be under 30 yards.

Mr. Longbeard 06-05-2007 06:21 PM

Man sorry to hear about your season...

This spring was kinda weird... Doing my home work really payed off big... I killed two 3 year old Gobblers...

Maybe next spring will be your season...

Cant wait for spring 2008

huntnma 06-06-2007 03:56 AM

i learned, i dont know a thing....you think you've got it, then that season comes and reminds you that the turkeys are in control....

bhw 06-07-2007 07:06 AM

I learned that the Thermacell truly works :)

kdsberman 06-07-2007 08:14 AM

PATIENCE

learningturkeys 06-07-2007 09:17 PM

First, if they're coming in, shut up and let 'em come. Got a nice bird this way.

Now the hard lesson. Had one gobbling for 30 minutes, he was in his strut zone and wouldn't leave it. Eventually he left and gave a parting gobble from far away. I made a move to reposition then called some more. No answer, and after 20 minutes I gave up. Walked to the strut area and FLUSHED THE BIG TOM!!! OUCH! I hope I remember this one, that was a tough lesson. The silent birds are a challenge, patience pays off.

TEmbry 06-07-2007 09:33 PM

i learned to have more than one place to hunt. and i learned more about calling in different situations. I called in two mature longbeards this spring to be killed, others that were more lucky because of hens or bad setups. so i learned that PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT when it comes to calling. not that im even a mile within perfect, but im decent only because i spent countless hours working with my calls. this year i hope to do the same with duck and goose calls.

TEmbry 06-07-2007 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: learningturkeys

First, if they're coming in, shut up and let 'em come. Got a nice bird this way.
couldnt have said it better myself.....once you get em hot shut up for that last 100 yards except for some purring if he hangs up. i only start calling if they start loosing interest or heading a different direction.

matt068 06-10-2007 07:42 PM

I learned this sport no matter how frustrating at times is truly incredible. Even if the morning doesn't go as planned, nothing like spring sun and chirping songbirds to wake up to. Birds are just a bonus I think i already knew this but remind myself every year

jepcho 06-11-2007 07:14 PM

Two main things, as some one mentioned above, NEVER get OVER confident. I am convinced that there is no such thing as an expert turkey hunter. There are good ones, even great, but nobody in an expert. Secondly, trust your hunting partner, especially when he can see the bird and what direction its going and you cant.