Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling from a blind ?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default calling from a blind ?

Hey all, I was calling with a slate/striker today inside a commercial blind and heard a gobble pretty far away so I reached out the window in that direction and called again trying to direct the sound and make it louder.
Doing this got me wondering what affect the blind has on the sound of my calling when inside. Do you guys just call from inside and let the sound bounce around till it gets out a window, or do you reach out a window? I don't really have any turkey hunting buddies to try an experiment (I will try with a non-hunting friend and a push button yelper when I get the chance), but what do y'all think, does calling from inside a blind change the sound across the field, or is it the same only quieter?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: calling from a blind ?

I dont think it changes a thing. My 2 birds this year came from me hunting in a blind. Heck my last 8 of 10 birds came from hunting from a blind. Some of the birds were less than 10 yards from the blind when I shot them. I still have more kills from being just on the ground but I really dont think it effects them much. A blind just adds extra protection from your movements and being able to set in a chair. Trust me when ya get older thats sure helps out the old back ( me Ive had a broken back for 15 years now and it helps).
Old 05-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

We will reach out of the window to call on occasion. Like if it's windy and/or we suspect the birds to be a long ways away, we will stick a box call out of the window to call then.
For the most part, we sit in the blind and call. If we can see the birds, then it's usually easy to see, orhear,the reaction and we just call accordingly. It does seem like hens will be the turkey that most likely figure out that something is wrong when the sound is coming from the blind, and not the decoys infront of the blind. We have had jakes literally look right into the blind for the hen that they think they keep hearing.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Dont ya just love em lookin right in the blind Howler. hehehehe
Old 05-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I do. We had two jakes this spring that hung out in and around our decoys for an hour or so. They'd start to wonder off and I'd do a little soft calling, and they'd come back again. They were just sure that there was a turkey in that "hole" and they wanted to find it in the worst of ways. We actually broke out laughing out loud a couple of times at them, and they never spooked.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

This is a GREAT question. I had a friend hunting with me and we were wondering the same thing. I need to have my son sit in our DB and call a bit......to see how sound is affected by the blind (get a ways away from the blind and monitor calling).

This seems like something every blind hunter SHOULD want to know.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Had a bud who was in a blind and since there was only room for one - he stuck his hands out and freaked the birds out.

Now for all these years - I have never worried about callin from the outside of the blind. If you can hear that Tom - that tom can hear you and hear you better than you think! I fI am worried about volume I use a trumpet or wingbone call for long distance - If on my box or slate hold it up higher near the window - but I never stick my call outside.

Start soft as you can always go louder. if that Tom is interested he will tell you.

And I have had birds peck the blind - more like - knock-knock - anyone home!

JW
Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: JW!

"Now for all these years - I have never worried about callin from the outside of the blind. If you can hear that Tom - that tom can hear you and hear you better than you think![quote]

Right on the money JW!!We took 23 birds this spring out of Ameri-steps, G-20's and Doghouses.Never have felt that being inside a blind had any impact on my calling whatsoever.I do leave an entire window down for my shooters and not just a porthole.So consequently I have a pretty large opening for sound to travel through.Gotta appreciate that blackout lining within the blind as a background.Must be like tryin to look down the black hole of my 10 gauge!!!Too little to late!!!!!