HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   FRUSTRATION, gotta love this sport (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/190599-frustration-gotta-love-sport.html)

RIStrutStopper 05-05-2007 05:06 PM

FRUSTRATION, gotta love this sport

Well, went to CT again today, 4th day of the season, my 3rd time out. Went to this farm 200+ acres. Pulled over at the owners house and it was starting to get light, nothing responded to the owl hoot but I heard a crow calling in the distance so I broke out my crow call. Got a distant response, but I couldn't get that close because of property lines. I set up and called for a bit, nothing. I put a bunch of miles on my boots trying to locate birds, they just werent talkative. I set up and did some blind calling in numerous locations. At about 11, I found myself back near my truck. I figured ok, I have til 12, let me try one area close by again. I left the decoys in the truck this time. I took a muddy farm road that breaks off thru some cedars to a big field. I cut thru the cedars to a wooded area a little more open but with irregular terrain where I thought the bird would have to look for the hens a little if he came in. After 15 minutes of blind calling, I thought I heard something rustle in the brush. A few more clucks, and I heard it again. I'm thinking game on... A few more clucks GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE! This was no more than 25 yards from me, but I couldn't see the bird. I scratched the leaves, and clucked a few more times. GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE. Quiet. This bird snuck around behind me, no more than 15-20 yards away. Of course, no dekes for him to pick a fight or flirt with,and he just stayed there. When he finally moved behind a tree, I got my gun pointed in his direction, but heard the dreaded PUTT PUTT PUTT as he was walking away. I yelped, he gobbled back, but kept moving. I cut back thru the cedars, circled around and tried calling again, but he was off in a different direction. I figured about a half hour of legal shooting time left, let me take the road which circles around his direction of travel (I thought), get the dekes, and set up on a field in front of where he was going. Well, that bad boy was hiding in some brush right on the side of the road maybe 100 yards from my truck. I didn't see him, but when I got close he took off flying acrossa differentfield. Last minute opportunity, luck of the draw. If he popped his head out in a different direction, he would be dinner :( Another tough day for me but you gotta love this sport!

triggerhappy 05-05-2007 09:59 PM

RE: FRUSTRATION, gotta love this sport

Well, I normally am tagged out by May and have been out at least a dozen times and today was the first legitimate action I have had this year. Bad weather, bad luck, birds all screwed up man it has been a rough season. But.....this a.m. I finally broke the ice and bagged a good bird.

And, despite a time crunch found some other great birds to work tomorrow.

I am telling you I thought every decent bird in the area was gone but I now have hope.

Keep after em!

maytom 05-06-2007 05:08 AM

Great story RISS!!! I can surely feel for you!!
Here in NY, the Gobblers are henned up pretty good!!! We had a slow start for warmer weather here in NY, and I feel that it threw off the mating season. Now it looks like the middle or end of May might be better!! Hang tuff!!!
;)

Branson 05-06-2007 09:15 AM

I feel your pain. This season I've had birds hang up for hours, and get "stolen" by hens. Also got set up in the perfect spot, had a gobbler going crazy off the roost, only to fly in the opposite direction. It's been rough...

FreeNewHampshire 05-06-2007 12:36 PM

Sorry to hear that man. Ugh. I hear ya. I see I'm not the only one a bit frustrated. Hang in there!