Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

holes ! it must work!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: holes ! it must work!

40-45 yards is my personal limit distance wise. Most birdstook the hit between 25-35 yards. Nice to know that "your" gun can give a great pattern at the fabled 40 yard marker. That being said......

I'll bet many people out there don't even botherpatterning there guns, and end up using what ever shells/choke they have at home, then wonder why they end up missing or worse yet, wounding birds!!These are the people who are doing the most damage in this Sport of ours, not the guys who take the time to pattern their guns,trying out many different types of loads and chokes, just to find what works well in theirturkey guns at certain distances. While there may be some who stretch the distance, I believe they are the far and few. Most turkey hunters I know are serious about this sport, and are dedicated in making a killing shot on a bird within the ranges that their gun shoots best.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

You just gotta love when you feel the drum, and your worried he'll put your eye out as the dirt and leaves fly when he slams those wings down as he spits. God I love turkey hunting. I believe 40 and under should be rule of thumb but then you got the mavericks that think they can make 60 yd shots, may happen once in a while. May also wound a whole lotta birds w/out even knowing it
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you exaggerated a little bit, getting shot with a turkey at 77 yards would hurt, a lot, if you dont think so, try!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Hahahaha.... I agree with you gobblegetterNY! I'd like to see him take a turkey load at 77 yrds. He'd be on the ground crying.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'll stand by my original statement. don't try to take the heat off your foolish statements, tiger. just by making a post like your 77yard one you encourage stupidity in the ranks of hunters. how many kids or inexperienced people read your original post, and walked away thinking they could pull off such stunts?

and i don't care if you pulled the trigger or not, you qualified your friends actions by posting them here.

And as far as me "on the ground crying" well i'd bet you $1,000 bucks the pellets would'nt penetrate my gear, let alone my skin. even if they did, i could seek medical attention. The turkeys you wound without even knowing it with long range shooting just get to fester , suffer, get infected and die a slow death.

inexcusable.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

ok.....we'll meet, i'll shoot you at 77 yrds. You'll cry when the bb's penetrate your skin and i'll take me $1,000 and leave....................
Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I also would like to kill all my birds at 25 yards, but sometimes it doesnt happen that way, I have shot 2 birds in the 48-53 yard range, 3 years ago while hunting with my buddy, he ranged my tom at 53 yards, he said he's 53 yards its a poke and I never let him finish what he was saying because old painless let loose and that tom flipped right over backwards....I agree with ya on the paper isnt walking or moving it's head and you arent leaning on a nice rest at the range or in your back yard, BUT, on the other hand I GUARANTEE that if I was to line up on you at 70 yards with my benelli 3 1/5 inch, high velocity 2oz 4 shot turkey loads, you will be in the hospital...You are right we all have to use our best judgement, confidence is a great thing, I personally am confident that at 50 yards with the right conditions I would kill every turkey I pulled the trigger on, I would much rather have them at 20 like I said...If someone is shooting at turkeys at 60,70 yards and up they are nuts...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

30 is my max. with a 20 ga.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:57 PM

I agree, read the side of the ammo box. Effective killing range is 40yards.
I like them a lot closer than that!!