Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Missed one today. How long to wait? >

Missed one today. How long to wait?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Missed one today. How long to wait?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Missed one today. How long to wait?

Well, today was the CT opener and it was pouring this morning. I had a bird roosted and at fly down he started slowly working into the dekes, and I noticed a second silent tom in full strut also SLOWLY working his way in. I misjudged the distance to this second tom and took a shot. Instead of collecting the bird I watched him fly off. I couldn't believe it. Question... This is a small property, only about 40 acres. Do you think I need to let that spot cool down for a couple of days? My next chance to get out will be Friday... Should I wait until Saturday or even next week before I go there again?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Missed one today. How long to wait?

I'd probably be right back out there, the turkeys don't know that its only 40acres, and birds are always moving around. If you have an alternate spot you could go there, but I wouldn't not hunt just because you shot a gun there recently. Very few birds are taken while sitting at home in a Lazyboy.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey RI,

Knowing CT quite well, I realize that 40 acres is actually a pretty good-sized piece of land. I would be back out there ASAP, tomorrow if possible. Two reasons:

1) Those birds have no idea what the hell just happened. Unexpected loud noise, possibly a few errant bb's, and they scrammed.

2) Because CT is so crowded, if you're not on those birds, somebody else WILL be hunting them. Maybe not the same property, but more than likely an adjoining piece.

I would hunt the same property, but come at them from a different angle. I would also leave the dekes in the car, because whereas they probably will not be call shy, they may associate THOSE hens with a bad memory. If you feel dekes are necessary, cut it to a single hen, and hide her good...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Strut & Rut. Actually, I called the landowner tonight, and the both of them are roosting in their usual spot. I think I'm gonna stick with the dekes for now, the woods are kind of open and I'm afraid if they hear something and not see it they might not commit. If it looks like the dekes are spooking them, away they'll go for that property. I may be back on them on Friday, unfortunately I have to make an apperance at the office every once and a while

I was fortunate enough to locate a few more birds on my way home on a different farm I have permission on too. That's on a nice 200+ acre farm. I only checked on the fields visible up to the farmhouse, the back fields I haven't even checked out yet and that landowner says there are a bunch of birds around. I'm gonna have to learn to be more patient!