Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys close to truck

Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys close to truck

My 8 year old and I have been close a few times this year but have yet to get him his first turkey. We had a Jake and a Tom at about 50 yards but could not get them to get any closer for his 20 gauge. Sat. we were out again and we got set up and right off we got one to gobble to an owl hoot. He got to about 100 yards and hung up. We moved and when when we got closer to the bird we were also getting closer to the path we parked on. We walked in real slow and my plan was to put a decoy out on the edge of the path, we were still 200 yards away from my truck. When I got to the edge of the path I looked and 2 gobblers were in full strut about 10 yards away. While we were moving I was calling and was not hearing anything but I guess they were smart, were getting closer to them why talk. I could not believe they were so close to my truck. I did put the decoy out and I got them both to gobble but then one fly straight up into a tree. He was walking back and forth on the branch like morning time. We sat tight for about 1 hour and they lost interest and went off, so I thought. We started going to the truck and when we got to about 30 yards they both flew off, they were still in that tree just close to the trunk and we could not see them.

When we got to the truck the sandy patch in the path were the birds were struting and dusting were 15 steps off of my back bumper of my truck. I have never seen birds that close to a truck and not concerned with it.

We are having a great year and have not killed a bird. My son's first season with a gun and he has been a very good listiner and I am very happy with his behavior in the woods.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Turkeys close to truck

And your stroy does not surprise me at all!

Now since you found a dust bowl and found a strut zone ya know where Not to park ...hehe

Happens like that some times.

Good luck -

JW
Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just off of the hard surface road into the path. I did not think they would be so close to the road. We were giving our spot a rest and going to this other spot for this weekend and yes I do know were not to park.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't you been driving around and seen a gobbler or two strutting by the road? I know I have. I bet they did cautiously walk up to your truck before dusting though.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you got a good "blind" there! I wouldn't park in that area, and try setting up right around there and see if you can get lucky!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Well you found the dust bowl where they like to strut...... just hunt there now instead of parking there. lol, and I think its awesome you take your son. I love to share the expierence with younger children
Old 04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yah they seem to be attracted to trucks in MA here as well. LOL I dont knwo how many times ive seen this happen. And good for you for taking your son out. Im 21 and can still remeber how exctied i was to be out hunting with dad.!!!! Goodluck and i hope he smokes a monster>!!