Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 anybody else have trouble with the turkeys?? >

anybody else have trouble with the turkeys??

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

anybody else have trouble with the turkeys??

Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default anybody else have trouble with the turkeys??

Had second season in wisconsin, and all the toms were henned up. toms would gobble really good in the morning while in their roost and even a little on the ground, but they got with the hens right away and wouldn't come in to a call at all. had 2 other buddies hunting on different farms and they had similar problems. they would see and here birds but they were all with the hens. anybody else have a problem like this or something else? anything i could have done different?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anybody else have trouble with the turkeys??

It's tough when they're henned up. If you get lucky and intercept them where they want to go. Being silent and not calling may work only because it seems the hens thatare w/the Toms tend to lead him away from any new hens. I've got 6th season wi and hope it'll be all settled by then. Last year during 6th I had a Tom at 70yds and he still had 6 hens with him!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, it is just something that goes with the early seasons. You have first crack at the birds, but you also have to contend with other hens. Did you buy an additional tag over the counter? If not, maybe you should look into it. I know the zone I'm hunting Wisconsin in still has some tags for season 5 & 6. By this time, a lot of the hens will be nesting and the Toms should be more responisve to your calls. Good Luck
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's usually what happens in the mornings with turkeys. They are gobbling like crazy and as soon as the get with those hens, then it goes absolutely quite! Don't get discouraged though...stay out there as long as you can...especially into the afternoon hours. Those hens and gobblers will break-up and then you can call in a lonely gobbler pretty easily.