Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkeys in open areas?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default turkeys in open areas?

ok i know most people see and hunt turkeys in open fields.but where i am i see alot of turkeys in the woods or on power lines because theres no open fields around me..does everyone hunt field only?i read alot of stories on here that people see a bird in the open then try working him in.am i wasting my time in the wood or is a power line the way to go?ill have a bow in hand.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: turkeys in open areas?

well i usually hunt field edges but you can hunt them in the woods too, i would think those power line right of ways would be good strut zones. Also check out areas that are surrounded by think area that is a bit more open. Best of luck to ya.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 AM

I find more wood birds here in mass to hunt. The problem with field birds is that there are to many guys hunting the same birds.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

I would say about 3/4 of the time I hunt in the woods. I like to be in where they are roosting, sjo when they fly down they start eating the acorns and come in to my set up, because I usually know which way they are headed.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, you have one major advantage hunting the thicker woods than hunting the open fields (at least what I have expierenced). In Texas where I live, I hunt mostly open field edges where thicker "patchy" woods end and the fields begin. Since the fields are open I can use decoys very effectively. However, one bad thing about the open fields is that I can be spotted very, very easily. I can't tell you how many times I have been spotted and scared the gobbler off. In an open field, you have to make sure there is nothing in the area and once you find a spot, it is best to stick with it. I have hunted a couple of times up in Washington State where there is thicker woods. What was really nice about that when compared to the open fields is that you could give a call and when you got a gobble in response, you could start walking towards the gobble a whole lot easier and not have to worry about getting spotted. Then, when you feel you have closed the distance gap as much as possible, you could set up. I would actually love to hunt the thicker woods more for this reason, its just that the land that I have doesn't have enough thick woods to do that.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 AM

i hunt a power line section but it cuts threw the woods making an open area
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, like said above, there are pros and cons to both hunting timbers and hunting open areas. Bottom line, if there are turkeys there, you can kill them. It does takea little bit different tactics, but overall I dont think it is that much harder to hunt in one area or the other like that.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would walk slowly threw the woods and walk and call soflty but be ready for a gobbler to sound off real close. its going to be harder with a bow bc you hav a blind but it'll be funn when they all off a sudden explode with a gobble 50 yards out good luck my 2cents

ps when it gets hot the birds will head into the woods try walking around in black teeshirt in a field(or powerline)and then walk into the woods major temp differnce. also theyl walk old roads in the woods 2

hope this helped