Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is it already over??

Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Is it already over??

I live in Southern Indiana and we have had abnormally warm weather this year. Turkey seaon opens this Wednessday but the turkeys have been gobbling and strutin for a month and a half if not a little over. Will this cause trouble this season, will they all be done???
Old 04-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it already over??

Weather doesn't effect the yearly routine of the turkeys that much at all. Their mating season is triggered by the increase in daylight hours, so it occurs pretty much the same time every year. It is not uncommon to hear turkeys gobbling on any calm morning, especially if its a little warmer than normal. I've heard them gobble in december, even seen the strutting then. Weather can effect the way a turkey "acts" on a particular day, but will not change the timing of the breeding.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where you at in So. In. Dubz? I'm in Gibson Co. I think the birds are still real active right now. The only thing that concerns me is the 10 day forcast. They are calling for rain from Wed. - Sat. I just got back from a hunt in Kentucky and the birds were really just getting going. I think that cold snap helped us a ton.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned above, weather has very little to do with the grand scheme of things. Bredding is triggered and controled by Photoperiodism. It should be the same quality as you've had in the past.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:56 AM

I hope they get all fired up this coming Wednesday, but like mentioned above, the weather forecast is not looking too good at all. That won't stop me from being out there. Nothing like hearing a big gobbler let loose after a big rumble of thunder.