HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   strutting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/188303-strutting.html)

neb 04-14-2007 12:51 PM

strutting

I have a question for you. This morning my sone and I had 8 to 10 gobbles about a 1/4 mile from us that strutted for about 1 1/2 hours. I was wondering if they will strutt in the same area tomorrow morning. Plaese if you have any advise for me let me know. We can st up right by where they were at this morning in some old junk a farmer has. Would this be the best thing to do. Please help

Bugeaters 04-14-2007 01:24 PM

RE: strutting

i would bet on them being there tomorrow. and i would get up early and get about 200 yards closer to where they were strutting and set out a couple of decoys. a hen and an intruder jake worked wonders for me today. shot a jake (who had hens with him) at ten yards when he saw my decoy set up. (i made it look like the decoys were breeding)

MN/Kyle 04-14-2007 02:51 PM

i'll almost guarentee it. i've found that toms usually have certain strutting zones the frequent very often, usually close to their roost. If i was you i'd maybe roost those birds tonight, or you could just set up there again tomorrow, they should be back...im guessing there were hens, so you'll have to get close to them, as they won't want to come to calls if they're henned up.

neb 04-14-2007 03:35 PM

So you think I should set up a hen and a jake. I hope they come in there tomorrow. I set up a DB blind this afternoon but you think decoys also. I always so a hen and a jake and have had good luck. I will not do any calling but not sure about the decoys.Will it atart a fight when they get there or should I just let them come up and strutt.

Arrowmaster 04-14-2007 07:51 PM

Hunt the strut zone...

MN/Kyle 04-15-2007 10:26 AM

Don't get me wrong A little calling won't hurt, especially if your good. I think for your situation i would use a single Intruder Jake, or a breeding hen set up, guess ya don't know till ya try...keep us posted, good luck

IL-Cornfed 04-15-2007 11:00 AM

As mentioned, I'd be there tomorrow! Good luck and good huntin'

Mr. Longbeard 04-15-2007 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

Hunt the strut zone...

Thats awsome advise... I wish I had someone tell me that when I first started turkey hunting... I would of killed my first day out...

neb 04-15-2007 03:00 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the help. I have hunted turkey for years but really didn't knowabout the strut zone. Well this morning we got in early and set up. When it started to get lite we could see where they were roosting. That is what I feared the most not knowing where they roosted. I'm siprised we didn't bump them out coming in. Well after all the vocals things got quite and we waited. It wasn'r long and we heard a hen real close and here they came. 3 hens and 2 gobblers and a jake. I don't know how many more there was coming but yesterday we seen at least 8 toms up there strutting. Well anyway I took a 20 lb. 9 + beard 11/4 spurs. I was really happy it was the easiest hunt I ever had. I usaully get two a year and work very hard for them but this was nice to get one like this. I will use the strut zone more often.

neb 04-15-2007 03:11 PM

One more question do you think they will use this spot to srut again since I took a gobbler out of there.I won't get back there for a week and not sure if I will hunt that area again this year. I have some other places I want to go.Has anyone took a bird out of a strut zone and got luck again.