Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 X-tended Range or Heavy 13 >

X-tended Range or Heavy 13

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

X-tended Range or Heavy 13

Old 04-06-2007, 04:16 PM

Default X-tended Range or Heavy 13

I have a Remington 870 SPS Thumbhole and a Jellyhead choke. I've been wanting to try some high density shells, but i can't decide which ones to buy. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

Old 04-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Default RE: X-tended Range or Heavy 13

I know these are expensive loads, but the only way to find out which is best for your setup is to try them both. Plus its lots of fun patterning your turkey gun. Every gun/choke should have a load that patterns best. It might take 3 or 4 different brands and shot size to find it. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that the Extended Range has patterned WAY better in all of my 12ga guns. But like AA said, each gun is unique, and you are going to have to man up the $$$ and buy a box of each and put them to the pattern board.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:20 AM

either one will do fine, but i agree with swamp collie. xtended range wirks best for me, but it may not be the case for you.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found X-tended Range patterned the best out of my Ithaca 12ga.

However, I bought shells manufactured in 2005 and 2006. I had some quality control issues with the sheels in 2005, and after last season shipped them the hulls. Winchester did some ballistics comparison, and without a live round, were unable to find anything conclusively wrong.

However, just for my concerns, they sent me a $20 Winchester Cash card, good towards any Winchester products. By far, that's the best customer service I've ever experienced from a firearms manufacturer. I do believe there was something funky about that lot of shells, but they're gone now, and the current batch of X-tendeds I have are deadly out past 50 yards...

I'm not sure about Hevi-shot, but Winchester stands behind their load, and will do anything they can to investigate any concerns you may have

PS> I have heard from several friends, and it seems that X-tended Range always seem to pattern better. However, I believe that the Hevi-13 #4 seem to take more birds, and have slightly more energy in the load...

Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Hevi-13. I have had 100% success on toms using it. Extended range works on high density shot to create tighter patterns that further than lead, but with more speed which isnt always good. Hevi-13, the heaviest and most dense shot available, creates this, but at a slower velocity which opts for denser patterns than standard leads loads. I have consistently recorded 45-60 pellets in an 8 inch circle at 50 yards. Hevi-13 also holds the world record for turjey loads for density of patterns at far ranges. It donwfall, it is more expemsive than most other brands of loads. You may look at $15 per box of 5 for 3 1/2" and $30-$35 per box of 10.