Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Found them....Now what? ADVICE PLEASE >

Found them....Now what? ADVICE PLEASE

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Found them....Now what? ADVICE PLEASE

Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Found them....Now what? ADVICE PLEASE

First off I want to say sorry this post is so long..Being new to turkey hunting I feel I have to explain myself to get everyone to understand what I am talking about and make sure I am not getting anything mixed up. With thatd said....So I was driving around some of the Wabash River bottoms here in Indiana and ran across a lot of birds...Well after knocking on many doors I finally found a friendly farmer who said I could hunt his bottom and no one else currently was. The day I got permission there were around 12 birds out in a grassy patch at the edge of a cut corn field. I drove past last night and there were probably about 20 birds within 100 yards of where they were the first night...now my ? for you guys...I'd like to be able to scout and figure out where they are roosting and where they are flying down at so I know where to set up when season comes in...But I don't want to spook them or even let them know I am in the area or have pressure on them......So what do I do? I've thought about parking my truck a half mile down the road and walking in and setting up about 700 yards away and just watch early in the morn and late in the evening...Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Found them....Now what? ADVICE PLEASE

I've thought about parking my truck a half mile down the road and walking in and setting up about 700 yards away and just watch early in the morn and late in the evening...Any suggestions?
BINGO!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you've got a sweet spot! I'd say if no one else is there hunting..Sounds like they aren't going to be pressured much. I'd say get down near the area in the morning in the dark and see if you can hear where they are coming from when they fly down. then try and get to that spot early evening or late afternoon, a little closer to that area, and see if they roost there again. Just wear your camo and be quiet..I don't think you can spook them too much.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:53 AM

Any other advice as far as a set up or anything? Like I said I am all new to turkey hunting...This is my first year...Ive been debating between hunting with my bow or shotgun...Anyways...I have a friends thats done it a few years now....Only problem is he is so negative. He is yet to shoot a bird and it seems like at times he only tells me how hard it is or how I wont be able to pick up on calling blah blah blah...Is it really as hard as he is making it out to be??? I mean I have been practicing my calls ALOT...To the point where my roommates hate me haha and I'm getting pretty good on a slate ball and box call but my mouth calls need a little work...Anyways my friends tells me that I wont be able to do it on my own and I'd really like to prove him wrong!!! OR is he right? Is it really that impossible?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Uh...... what team you on? [8D]

[blockquote]quote:

I've thought about parking my truck a half mile down the road and walking in and setting up about 700 yards away and just watch early in the morn and late in the evening...Any suggestions?
[/blockquote]

BINGO!!!

I agree .... BINGO x2
Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Setting up 700 yards away is too far in my opinion , park your truck and walk in like you said but get closer than 700 yards and go during the evening hours before sunset.
As you walk in closer to that grassy patch use a crow or owl locator calls and listen for them to gobble , once you heard them try get as close as you can without spooking or running in to them.
Look around big oak or elm maybe even maple trees with alot of big limbs , even pine tree's if there in your area.
Remember this , they like to roost near or over water , even a swamp so you happen to find a water source this would be a good place to sart.
You'll be able to tell if you come to a roosting tree by looking on the ground around it , you'll see alot of droppings and feathers all around it.
Droppings will look like little cigar butts , some will be curved at the end and there color is mostly green and white at the end.
When using your crow call , try to mimick the sound they make ( CAW ... CAW CAW ) then wait and listen and when using the owl call again try to mimick the sound ( WHOO WHO ... WHO WHO ) it's almost like your trying to say who cooks for you.
If you do go out in the early morning hours , try to bethere before sunrise and when you SLAM your truck door listen for a shock gobble.
Walk in very queitly and look up into the trees as you go , you might see birds from a distance but once you get between the woods and that grassy patch sit down for awhile to watch and listen.
Use your crow call in the evening and your owl call in the morning , if you got time to spend all day from sun up to sun down then you can use your crow call around late morning to early evening then switch to your owl call.
I know this has been a long reply but I hope it helps you in some way , good luck to you this season and I hope you get a big ole tom with a long beard.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

The 700 yd reference was ONLY for scouting. Of COURSE I think you need to get closer to set up.....UNLESS you're set up in an area you KNOW they're traveling on.

If the latter is the case....you may not HAVE to be a great caller. My cousin once told me something about duck calling...but I think it mirrors turkey calling. He said:

"The secret to being a good caller......is being where they want to come"

Look at it, that way. If you can make JUST enough noise to make them notice your deke(s)........you shoud be set.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM

I would even add, if you have the time get tho the field where you saw them before sunrise. Set up in a ground blind, get a chair and get comfortable. Listen and watch. Then you can tell where they are entering the fields. You might even find they are roosing in the same woods as that field. Maybe not. Before you just blindly start walking around in the dark, use the owl call to make sure you don't spook them off the roost. This should be useful to identify their locations.

Think of the ground blind as a recon mission. You may be able to even video them. Either way you will learn more about the quarry.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM

PreacherTony, Im not currently on a team....Id imagine its too late for sign ups? You guys have any advice on what calls to buy? or when to use what calls? any advice helps....I've got the Primos Box Cutter, Primos Jackpot with Glass, Primos Spring Hen Push Button Call, the H.S. Hooter Owl Call, and some H.S. mouth calls....I'm pretty good on all of them but the mouth calls need some work....anything I'm missing or anything that you guys really like and suggest? Thanks guys....
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MossyOak722

PreacherTony, Im not currently on a team....Id imagine its too late for sign ups?
Top of the Turkey Forum is a sign up fopr late arrivals .... put yer name on there

Quick Reply: Found them....Now what? ADVICE PLEASE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.