HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How do you guys/gals do it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/186773-how-do-you-guys-gals-do.html)

zubba 04-02-2007 08:34 AM

How do you guys/gals do it?

When I'm turkey hunting, I like to make myself as free as possible. In other words, I pack light.

I use a camo backpack and place my decoys (featherflex), a few backup calls, extra shells, etc in it. I also wear a camo fanny pack where I keep my main calls, locator calls, binocs, and rangefinder. This allows me to throw my back pack on my pack and wear the fanny pack while keeping my hands free (I hunt a lot by myself).

This year I'm going to be videotaping my hunts, so I will now have a case with my camcorder/camera as well as a tripod. There are also a few other things I would like to take this year. More stuff...no more room.

I thought about purchasing a turkey vest, which would eliminate my fanny pack. I could also stick the decoys in the back to eliminate the backpack. But what about the camera and tripod? How do you vest-wearers like your vest. Oh, I almost forgot....I bowhunt turkeys...are they easy/comfortable to draw your bow with?

So how does everyone pack out all their equiptment, but still keep themselves free? If I have to relocate on a gobbler, I don't want to take 10 minutes just pack everything up. I want to grab it and go. Thanks in advance.

ryanaller 04-02-2007 09:03 AM

RE: How do you guys/gals do it?

I'm also going to try and film my turkey hunt this year. I have a vest which holds all of my calls (decoys in back) and shells. The camera is already mounted a tripod with a slingso when I get to my spot I will put out my decoys and setup the decoys. Since I am hunting on my own land I don't have a problem leaving my stuff where it sits if I need to venture out to get a better shot. As for drawing with your bow be careful and try to only do it when they have their back to you or if you are behind a tree. Last year I got busted by drawing too early and it cost me a 10 yard shot! Be patient and he'll turn from you!

zubba 04-02-2007 09:52 AM

As for drawing with your bow be careful and try to only do it when they have their back to you or if you are behind a tree. Last year I got busted by drawing too early and it cost me a 10 yard shot! Be patient and he'll turn from you!
As far as drawing your bow...I was referring to the vest. Are the vests comfortable/does anyone have problems with the vest interferring?

Thanks for advice about the keeping the camera on the tripod. It was just an expensive purchase I feel better about the case.

wingchaser_labs 04-02-2007 10:11 AM

Vests are the way to go for sure. Everything is right there so you don't have to worry about misplacing somethign or fumble around woth mutilple packs. Call are all right on your chest or front pockets and decoys fit great in the back. I'd go with one with a nice thick fold down pad on the back to sit on as well. Another thing is don't get one with the mesh netting on it either like some have on the shoulders. They are lighter and cooler but are a pain in the woods with briars and stuff catching... I hunt with a bow as well and have never had any problems with catching my vest or anything. I think its actually better as it holds your coat tight to your chest as well seeing as you will probably be kneeling and your coat will bunch usaully but the vest keeps it flat... As far as the camera and a case (I know what you mean, ours is a$600 camera)I use a nice head net and camomy camera by covering it with the head net and securing it with rubber bands or electritions tape around it but not taped to the camera, and make sure the lense cover is outside so I can put it on and off when I hunt or walk. Keeps the camera safe from scratches and allows you to keep it on the tripod. WCL

TEmbry 04-02-2007 02:10 PM

some days i love my vest, some days i hate it. if i want to pack light, i grab my diaphram puch and my favorite slate and striker, and thats all for the calls. they easily fit in a pocket. i leave my camera on the tripod, so i carry it. i have a sling for my seat and gun, so i carry those on my shoulders. if i want all my calls, decoys, water bottles, and all the other luxuries, ill wear my vest.

i usually go by if i know where i will set up, i wear the vest, if im going out knowing ill bve moving and relocating alot, ill leave the vest and just bring bare essentials.

the kidd 04-02-2007 02:28 PM

one thing is make sure that before you go hunting that you have good battery liffe and that before you put your camera on the tripod [if you have a camera that changes tapes from the bottom of the cam]make sure you have the right video tape inserted unless you have a dvd one you shouldnt have any worries well im plannin on the same thing and ill see how it turns out!!

fishstix 04-30-2007 02:24 PM

the vest is the way to go, as well as a turkey seat, worth the money for years of comfort and not getting pins and needles