HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   "Fred" comes through again (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/186760-fred-comes-through-again.html)

SpringHillFarms 04-02-2007 07:03 AM

"Fred" comes through again

It was an awesome sight yesterday morning when the gobbler attacked. I had been working a love-starved bird since sunrise for about 40 minutes when he finally flew down. I was sitting on the edge of a freshly planted corn field on only my second hunt of the season as I hoped to get bird #2. "Fred", my imposter of a gobbler, was successful on opening day last weekin helping me closethe deal on bird #1, and now he was back again with his enticing hen postured before him.
The gobbler stepped into the field about 85 yards away and immediately began coming in my direction along the wood line. Suddenly, about 75% in strut and red-faced with fury, the gobbler ran violently to Fred and tried to kill him. He slammed his spurs into Fred--but Fred was not deterred, still staring at the lovely hen in waiting. This enraged the gobbler who attacked again with even greater velocity, this time slamming Fred into the ground. It was then, from only 15 yards, I did some slamming of my own as my 3 1/2" #5s whacked the attacker and ended the battle.
Ole Fred had come through for me again, but this time he had two spurs holes in his side to show for it.
And who says strutting gobblers don't work? ;)

zubba 04-02-2007 07:52 AM

RE: "Fred" comes through again

Nice bird...and nice story on top of it. Congrats.

Rebel Hog 04-02-2007 07:58 AM

Way to go SHF! Congrat's

YooperMike 04-02-2007 10:48 AM

Good story! Fred sounds like a good guy to have around!

ryanaller 04-02-2007 11:43 AM

but this time he had two spurs holes in his side to show for it.
Meerly a flesh wound.

strutnbuck 04-02-2007 12:53 PM

great job! Pretty cool story!

sour01 04-02-2007 01:07 PM

Congrats on a great bird!! Great story. I, too, have become a believer in strutting decoys. Have also taken two birds this year because of my B-Mobile.

Got any stats on the bird?

SpringHillFarms 04-02-2007 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: sour01

Congrats on a great bird!! Great story. I, too, have become a believer in strutting decoys. Have also taken two birds this year because of my B-Mobile.

Got any stats on the bird?
Thanks, sour01. He had a 9 5/8" beard and 1" spurs. This is my first year using a full strut decoy and yesterday's attack was a hunt I'll never forget. Have you had one blitz your decoy like that?

TEmbry 04-02-2007 02:13 PM

lol that decoy sure looks familiar. congratulations on the bird. i guess ill have to name mine too then, i havent got to set em up on a hunt yet tho. im praying for results like yours cuz im videoing this spring.

sour01 04-02-2007 04:35 PM

My second bird came running to the decoy right after fly down. He broke into what I call a fighting strut right beside the decoy and was facing me. I gave him a face full before he had a chance to flog my decoy.

Muskeon jim 04-02-2007 04:49 PM

man you guys got me leaning towards buying one, for the pure amusement. Great bird congrads