Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Any advice for a beginner? >

Any advice for a beginner?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any advice for a beginner?

Old 03-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any advice for a beginner?

One of the best tips I can think of is not to over call. Get him interested and shut up. Im not sure if he thinks the hen is leaveing or what but it keeps them coming"no promises though" and besides that somtimes you can over call and spook them.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

After you get your buddies to help get the ball rolling The #1 advise i would have for would be (patience) Sometimes it takes em a while to pitch down off the roost, so dont get call mad trying to get them down sooner. Even if you have one gobbling and you can tell he has progressed toward you and then goes silent(have patience) and wait for a while, some times they go the last leg of commiting to come in silent, and beginers think they have already left, pick up and move and end up busting the bird. more advise would be sometimes you think they are farther away while gobbling on the roost than they really are. If he is gobbling with his head turned away from you it makes it sound like he is farther away, so be careful and not get caught to close.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

The first advise I will give is practice, practice, PRACTICE!!! Calling, patterning your gun, shooting your bow! Also learn as much as you can by reading(books,dvds,internet) and always remember there is NEVER a dumb question!!! Especially when you are just getting started!!!
And by the way... like Rebel Hog started to address, you stated you have "Friends" that already turkey hunt! Well they are not very good friends and certainly not true hunters if they won't help you get started in the right direction!!! IMO
Just remember that if they won't help, there are some great people on this forum that would love to assist you in learning this great addiction we call "turkey hunting" and those same people(with a little luck) you may someday truely call "FRIENDS!!!" Good Luck and Safe Hunting!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 PM

thanks for the advice so far...my friends offered to get me in the woods so i could see how things work and all...any suggestions on what calls to buy and practice with for different situations????