HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Big change in weather, will it effect birds? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/186468-big-change-weather-will-effect-birds.html)

BKE 03-30-2007 07:15 AM

Big change in weather, will it effect birds?

Had a big change And I'm wondering if it will effect what the birds do. It went from being extremely warm here during the day and at night (talking shorts and tee shirt weather)to being down right cold (flannel shirt and sweatshirt). Will it keep the birdsonroost longer, make them roost earlier,hole up earlier in the day, etc. etc.??What do ya'll with experience think?

zubba 03-30-2007 09:22 AM

RE: Big change in weather, will it effect birds?

If it is windy and rainy, the birds might change roosting spots a little. For example, they might try to get out of the wind....or roost lower in the trees.

If it is overcast or foggy, the birds might stay on roost a little longer. They won't fly down until they know it is 'safe'. And if overcast skies affect their visibility, they will stay on the roost until it is light enough to see the coast is clear.

If it is rainy or windy or foggy (or maybe even cold), it might make the birds a little sluggish. But you still have to hit it hard. I've called in and taken many birds in bad weather. They will still come in, they might just come in silent. So be more patient. If your calling from a certain spot, give it an extra 15-30 minutes if your thinking about moving. Many times I have got up to move and spooked a bird that was coming in silent....if I only would have waited an extra 15 minutes.

When I think of bad weather...I think of last year. I was taking my 13 year old cousin on her first turkey hunt. it was so so so foggy that day...I didn't think they birds would fly down until noon. When I picked her up, her mom said...'is this really worth it'...and I responded HELL YEAH!!! We got set up, and as expected, the birds weren't as vocal in the roost and they flew down a little later than normal. But within 20 minutes of flydown, I called in jake and she took him (being her first bird). Being able to witness her excitment and her first bird will stick with me for a long long time. The best part was two weeks later, she sent me a 'thank you' card for taking her......and inside the card she wrote 'You were right, it was worth it'.

So the weather will affect the birds somewhat...but the bottom line is 'they will still be out' They can't 'go home' when the weather is ugly. They might be tougher to locate because the weather might 'shut them up', but they will still come in....just be patient and stick with it. Good Luck.

BKE 03-30-2007 10:45 AM

Thanks Zubba. And....you'll see that I replied to monsterbuck in his "creeks" thread and gave ya a little dig, hope you don't mind. Seeings how it friday I'm just trying to get in a little chuckle.

zubba 03-30-2007 10:51 AM

Thanks Zubba. And....you'll see that I replied to monsterbuck in his "creeks" thread and gave ya a little dig, hope you don't mind. Seeings how it friday I'm just trying to get in a little chuckle.
No sweat. Good luck tomorrow.