Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need input on Rem 870 shot patterns pic's >

Need input on Rem 870 shot patterns pic's

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need input on Rem 870 shot patterns pic's

Old 03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need input on Rem 870 shot patterns pic's

Definitatly sounds like you need to try a different choke. I don't like the heavy shot so I shoot the winchester #6 supremes in 3 inch with a .640 hastings. I used to have an undertaker choke with a .665 constriction. I was shooting like I had a modified choke in it. At 40 yards with my 22 inch barrel I can get at least 25-30 pellets in the kill zone.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Hevi-13 (1.75 oz. shot)worked great out of our 870 Ex. Super Mag. This was using 3.5" #6 shot and a Tru-Glo Strut Stopper choke. I see no reason not to use 3.5" or the #6 shot. You get more bb's in both upgrades and #6 hevishot will retain plenty of energy at 50 yards as it is 10% denser than lead. Also, that choke is rated at .643. Most folks 'round here say Hevishot favors a more open choke. Well, with 6-8 bb hits in the kill area at 50 yards, I find it to be true that all individual shotguns (whether the exact same or not) will produce differentpatterns with different shells and chokes. The Undertaker choke produced a pattern with 2-3 less bb's in the kill at 50. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the patterns this year. Good luck getting your pattern...

We tried Remington Nitro's (2 oz. shot)using the same two chokes and it patterned not nearly as good as the Hevishot. This was using 3.5" #5 shot. I messed up and bought #5's. I'll buy 6's from here on out. (I think those Rem. Nitro'skick harder than any turkey load I've shot)

In my 835 (Ulti-Mag stock choke), those same Nitro's pattern the same at 40 yards as 3" #5 shot Winchester Supreme's.. That's pretty sad really, since the Nitro's should have a few more bb's in 'em. I'll be only shooting to 40 yards max while my dad (using 870) can reach out to 50.

That is one rambling post, but it's all the info. I got. I think you'll just have to keep trying different shells to figure out which one works best. You should have a better pattern at 40 yards even with 3". I would definitely use nothing else but #6 shot unless of course #5 or #4 somehow pattern better out of your gun. Good luck on your hunt for a nice pattern..
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

The Hevi-13 1 5/8 oz.shot is not a great shell. The 1 3/4 or 2 oz load is better. Try a different shell in your gun or go to the NWTF message board. There is a lot of good shell, choke, & gun combo's on there. It will save you money in the end.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ultimag are you shooting one of those tri plex loads??? Looks like a lots of small shot in the vital area...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Mr. Longbeard ,Yea it is a 4x5x7 load 21/4 oz.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Fantastic responses!!

I would like to thank all of you for your time and thought put into answering my post.bigaggie77 great info I will get some poster board, I have plenty of plywood to use! I have been considering trying the Rem. wingmaster hd's among others. I will try the Hevi 13 #6 I ordered (I sure hope it's better than the 5's)and some new loads and chokes, some of witch you have suggested.

It is a hunt for just the right combo!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

Why not just try lead loads? Winchester or federal 3inch #6 shoot well out of a lot of set ups.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I know there are alot of opinions out there. But for the money and to save alot of heartache, I would just buy a Primos Jellyhead!! My buddy was having problems last year with his 870. I ran into another friend who let me borrow his choke, because he was hurt and couldn't hunt. I got together with my troubled buddy, we put the same shot at the same range, and with the second shot he was ready to go. He Harvested a Turkey at 30 yards, he desimated the gobblers head, to the point he couldn't have it mounted.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 yards and devistated a turkeys head beyond mounting

Cant help it but thats bull s!@#

Your going to have to sell that some s!@# somewere else were all stocked up hear
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry if I missed it someplace in the other posts, but how long is your barrel? I had an 870 w/21" barrel, and now own an 11-87 with a 21" pipe. Neither of the guns shot worth squat with any Rem. heavy shot load, (shorter barrelsare more finicky)no matter what choke I used. I got disgusted(and plenty sore) from shooting and decided to switch back to copper plated loads. I called Kick's,and they recommend a .655 ported choke. Huge difference. I settled on 3" Winchester #5's, 1 3/4 oz high velocity loads starting in 2003.........that was until Win. came out with the Xtreme loads in 2005(their version of hevi-shot). I tried a 3" #6, and decided to stick with it. To me this combo delivers a great balance with a "not to tight" pattern at close range, to a nice uniform pattern at 40 yards. They hands down blew the rem shells away as far as density and consistency..........which was another issue I had noticed with the rem hevi shot loads. The center of the pattern was never consistently where I needed it to be. It varied with each shot. The Win's were much easier to get sighted in with. I dont' know if I still have my targets, I can look, so if you want to PM me your email addy, I may be able to send somethin over to ya.

MIke

ORIGINAL: GobblerTracker

I shoot a Remington 870 Express Mag. 12 gauge.(3 inch max.)Take a look at my patterns, not very good. I am trying the Hevi shot with a Hevi choke and a H.S. Undertaker choke.

I still have Rem. Hevi shot 1 5/8 #5 to shoot and have ordered the
Hevi 13 #6.

Any info on brands, oz. shot, shot size that work for you would be greatly appreciated! Please post your patterns.

I hope this helps other shooters!

Quick Reply: Need input on Rem 870 shot patterns pic's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.