Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Score One for Team Eight >

Score One for Team Eight

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Score One for Team Eight

Old 03-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Score One for Team Eight

Opening day in Georgia was memorable for me this past Saturday. It was a beautiful morning about 53 degrees with several birds gobbling as the sun was rising. I set up between two gobbling birds and called twice being cut off both times by the bird on my right. I called one more time with no response so I hunkered down and set up my decoys. About 7:40 four hens came out of a pine stand and started feeding about 40 yards from where I was set up. Shortly after I saw the tail feathers of a strutting gobbler come behind the hens and I heard him spit and drum. He started out at 50 yards from me constantly strutting and moving back and forth to gain the attention of the female birds. I watched him strut for about 15 minutes and shortly after 8:00 p.m. I shot him at 38 steps and watched him drop in his tracks. The Franchi I-12 shooting Winchester 3" #6's dropped him cleanly. The bird weighed 24.5 lbs and had a 12 inch beard. His spurs were 1 3/16" and 1 1/4". Like my dad said a long time ago, it is better to be lucky than good - I was very lucky and also blessed to witness a true spectacle of beauty. There is nothing like the high and satisfaction of a successful hunt.

Good luck to everyone else and I hope each of you has a memorable experience from this year's hunt.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Default RE: Score One for Team Eight

Sorry - forgot to add the score as calculated on the NWTF website:

Score is 24.5 + 11.875 + 12.5 + 24 = 72.875
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats yankeehunter

Thats a pretty big bird indeed , 24 lbs. 8 oz. is a good size and I bet you could have hung that bird on a limb with hooks like that , not to mention a ground dragging beard.
Now thats a real good start for our team , lets hope the others get one like yours.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Sounds like a very nice bird...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not on team 8, but I love hearing about other hunters scoring ona nice gobbler. Sounds like a nice heavy bird, with nice beard/spur length. Congrats.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats! That's a big gobbler you bagged.. It will go nicely towards our first place title for the turkey contest, lol..
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM

congrats on a great bird
Old 03-27-2007, 06:08 PM

congrats on the nice bird! any pics?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow. I was hunting by myself and shot some pics of the bird on the back of my truck. The pics are on my cell phone so I will try and download them tomorrow. Thanks for the comments and congrats - THERE IS NOTHING LIKE HUNTING LONGBEARDS IN THE SPRING!!!! Can't wait to get out this weekend and try to get them birds to gobble again.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not on your team either but that's an impressive start for ya bud. I've got two under my belt so far but not quite that big. You've definitely put the pressure on us with that fat daddy! Congrats on a dang good bird!

Quick Reply: Score One for Team Eight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.