Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Did I stumble on a dusting area, what is it? >

Did I stumble on a dusting area, what is it?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Did I stumble on a dusting area, what is it?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Did I stumble on a dusting area, what is it?

I just scouted a small area at lunch time that I plan on hunting and knew I found something but didn't know what. I was just looking here on the forum and see on page 4 someone mention a dusting area. I was walking a dirt/sandy trail (following along w/some turkey tracks) and came to a wierd spot in the dirt, round depression about 20 in. in diameter (with real fine dirt like it had been sifted) that looked like a turkey had danced in itor something. All around the edges the dirt was mounded up. Is this a good find, I just discovered the turkey tracks here and don't know where they roost but now that I am looking I see a descent number of tracks. I am new to turkey hunting but figuredit's either sit on the couch and not get a bird or sit in the woods and even if I don't get one I'll enjoy that.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Did I stumble on a dusting area, what is it?

im not an expert, but it sounds to me like you found a dusting area.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, sounds like you found a dusting 'spot.' I don't like to call it an area because I think of area as a place that turkey frequent go/use. I've seen a dusting spot that was used once in a 3 month span and numerous other spots that were infrequently used. I think this is typical from where I live since it rains nearly every other day and dusting just isn't an option. If you find that this spot is used frequently than you'll know for sure the turkeys come by there nearly every day.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM

This definitely sounds like a dusting spot to me. I have had luck with setting up late afternoon around these spots as I observed birds come through. I think a lot of times it depends on the weather as to how much the birds will visit and/or dust themselves.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

regardless of what you found I like your attitude!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

BKE, First I do think you may have found a dusting area and I have to agree with tx and say you seem to have the right idea! I always say "its not the prize... its the journey that counts!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

yah it does sound like a dusting area!! go in the morning and call quitely and you find where they roost. LOOk for dropings and feather under a large tree and also look for an area where it looks like someone dragged a garden rake around that is his strut zone. He will proble frequent that locatin again!!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Keep that attitude up, even if it doesnt get you a bird right away. As for the possible dusting area you found in the woods it is more then likely a dusting bowl. Keep up the great attitude keep looking for stuff like that in the woods they are all over.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 AM

If theres turkey tracks in it then its a turkey if not then its something else.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture I happened to have of one. Lots of tracks, and ususally in loose dirt. This one is in sand, and happens to be right smack in the middle of our clubs rifle range....pretty handy....

Quick Reply: Did I stumble on a dusting area, what is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.