Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

wild dog in the area

Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wild dog in the area

I would shoot it, bury it, and if the dogs happened to be the neighbors dog and askme about it, I'd just tell themI haven't seen their dog. People who really love their pets will keep them under control and on the own property. Letting pets wander at free will is very irresponsible. Maybe only until they lose a pet will they understand that they need to keep it chained up.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrushChimp

I would shoot it, bury it, and if the dogs happened to be the neighbors dog and askme about it, I'd just tell themI haven't seen their dog. People who really love their pets will keep them under control and on the own property. Letting pets wander at free will is very irresponsible. Maybe only until they lose a pet will they understand that they need to keep it chained up.
Sorry but that is totally irrisponsible in your statements and actions. I see you have never delt with farm dogs (on the farm). Their main purpose to kep unwanted animals or people of the property. Chaining them up or caging them, would defeat that purpose. A dog roaming the farm, has a purpose or job to do, it protects the farm and animals. The owner might not realize that the animal is tresspassing or interfearing in your hunting. Talk to them to try and solve it.

But the attitude you showed in the above quote would only harm the hunting comunity by creating a rift between the pet owne and the kid and hunters. Sure you could say that you did not see the dog, but there would always be suspicions coming from that family and we (the hunting comunity) do not need to creat more animosity, we need to grow our comunity.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 PM

WELL LAST YEAR WE HAD TWO BIG DOGS...ONE WAS BLACK AND THE OTHER BROWN..I WAS LOOKIN WITH MY BINOS TO THE FEEDER SEEIN MOVEMENT I THOUGHT THEY WERE PIGS BUT IT LLOKED LIKE A CHOW MIX AND A BIG LABRADOR MIX.....I SHOT THE BIGGER BLACK ONE AFTER PERMISSION BY THE OWNER AND THAT DOG TOOK OFF AND WE NEVER SAW HIM OR THAT OTHER DOG AGAIN ....THE OWNER TOLD ME STRAIGHT UP IF THERE IS A DOG LET IT GO COMES BAK AGAIN THEN HE IS A GONER...BUT THIS PASS TIME[YESTERDAY] I WAS[UNCLE AND GRANDPA ALSO]WALKIN DOWN A ROAD AND TO THE LEFT IS NTHIN BUT BRUSH AND YOU COULD HERE SOMEHTING GET STARTLED SO I FALLOWED THE OBJECT LOOKIN AT IT RUN UNTILL IT GOT INTO AN OPENING AND IT LOOKED LIKE A COYOTE OR A DOG....DARK BROWNISH.....THEN LATER BY MY TURKEY FEEDER WHICH I HATE MOST 1 YARD AWAY THERE WAS DOG CRAP.....NO COYOTE IT WAS SOME KIND OF DOG ...AND WHEN EVER THERE ARE DOGS THERE ARE NO DEER OR PIGS...BUT IF I SEE IT AGAIN ITS A GONER..IM SORRY THAT IT MAY OFFEND YALL BUT ID HATE TO BE WALKIN AROUND ONE DAY AND GET ATTACKED BY A DOG AND ALMOST JUST AS BAD BE KILLING SOME OF THE ONLY GOBBLERS IN THE AREA AND TO TOP THAT OFF I HAD FOUND A DEAD TURKEY N THE ROAD BY OUR FRONT GATE....A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO...WE SEE A DIFFERENT DOG JUST ABOUT EVERY YEAR WHICH TICKS ME OFF
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 PM

This of course is caused by irresponsible people who love those cute little puppies until they grow up at which time they dump at the side of the road. These days it isn't so bad but years ago it was a real problem in the rural areas. What a great place to drive out and dump off some unwanted pet before the kids get home right?

In the earlier post I made the pack we killed had at least 10 dogs in it...10! They revert back to their instincts and pack mentality. It's sad but this is what pisses me off about people and pets. If you can't take the time to take care of the animal then don't get it. Anyway, I would ask your neighbors if they have seen this dog or it has been causing problems. Signs might be finding trash drug out in your yard, livestock being attacked, chickens being killed, and things like that. A single lone dog may not pose much of a threat really but can still cause problems. He will most likely avoid you. Also by your description he is already people shy so either he has been away from human contact for a long time or someone probably beat the hell out of it or something.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

By all means, check with your neighbors 1st, it may have gotten off it's chain or jumped the fenceor dug out. Never assume it is just wild and belongs to no one. If it is attacking your livestock, pets or family, that is another matter entirely. It happens all too often, that pets get loose and wander. I agree that folks need to be responsible for their pets. But we also need to be responsible as hunters and not just kill anything we don't want around or that we think is annoying us. Take the proper steps 1st to locate the owner. We are not just the main predators out for the kill of anything in the woods. If you are that way, then you are wrong. You should be setting an example for your children and grandchildren to preserve our hunting herritage and rights.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pets are property. They don't have rights. They are the owners responsibility. Pets areNOT people.According to the Bible they do not haveeternal souls. They are temporary lives made for our enjoyment. No sane person would really cause harm to another person over a dog. It's just a dog. If the owner doesn't care enough about their property to keep it off of my hunting land, then that dog will be shot. I admit that if the dog has a collar, I'd probably try to catch the dog and take it home, the first time. But if there's no collar, or if it's a second time, BOOM!

We just do things differently down here in DIXIE.So if you come down here keep that in mind.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

deerrdust I agree with your comments. If the dog is a danger then dispatch it, but if it is just causing you problems by scaring away your enjoyment of watching live game, then first try to find the owner to correct the problem.

But just beccasue the dog does not have a collar is not reason to harm the dog, many dogs have slipped their collar to get off the chain. Alot of you surmize that since the Dog is running loose, it must be that the owner is irresponsible (maybe or maybe not). Even if that is the case, does that mean that we also need to be iresponnsible, we as hunters need to rise above that level to lead as an example, to teach our future hunters and not to make the younger generation hate hunters becasue they killed their pets. Kids will not remember that their dog was tresspassing, only that a hunter killed it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sorry you didn't like my reply GrumpyTom.. I gave the post creator an excample of what I would do since that is what he asked for.Now having readhis second post, I see that Goose_11's example is a very good one. A good trained "farm" dog will stay on the property of which he is protecting.

There are to many dogs in this country already. Culling a few won't hurt nothing. Looks like we do things different where I reside from as well Goose_11. Good luck with your dilemma, the_kidd.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: the kidd

now i only have 20 acres and then there is a wild dog what would you do?

S

Wouldn't be the first deer dog to get the chop on my farm. No reason for a walker hound to be running a doe about to drop a farm in the spring time.

The problem is NOT people who shoot dogs. The PROBLEMIS the IRRESPONSIBLE REDNECKS who let their dogs run free all over creation and then turn them loose after hunting season because it is cheaper and easier to buy new dogs each fall than it is to feed them all summer. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what gives hunters a black eye: half starved mutts running rampant, interbreeding with coyotes, killing fawns, ruining turkey hunts, and biting kids.

Now I am not talking about shooting a lab, or a swamp collie (god forbid) or a shepard, or some other obviously cared for, properly collared dog with a good disposition that has obviously gotten lost or loose. You have to use some common sense folks. If you are driving in for the afternoon hunt and see some little kid with a leash and collar and then see a friendly Basset Hound on the way to your stand then do the right thing and return the dog. If its a pet, then it should come right up to you and make like a pet. Plain and simple. If its wild and rouge, it will run like a scared ape.

But ultimately, its up to the landowner. If you are irresponsible enough to let your dog (or especially your cat....no trial for acat, justa ride on the Winchester Express) run free on someone elses property, then you ought to be shot as well, because you are part of the problem. Its no different then blasting Bon Jovi amped up all the way at 2 am in yourneighborhood or setting off fireworks on Sunday morning. You are intruding and invading on others peace, quiet and property.

Does anyonehere own cattle or horses? What do you do with a livestock chasing dog? You shoot, shovel and shut up.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Exactly. As I noted in my posts you can tell if it is wild or tame and, if one is not sure, then ask the neighbors.

Like it or not the law WILL side with the landowner. For example, you have a dog you do not keep tied up and refuse to train and this dog starts running the neighbors horses or cattle then you are just out of luck. They have every right to protect their property.

Quick Reply: wild dog in the area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.