HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Maryland Public Land (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/185173-maryland-public-land.html)

johnssh1 03-19-2007 11:22 AM

Maryland Public Land

Dont have too many choices for turkey hunting as deer. Was wondering if anyone knew of decent maryland public land for turkey that doesnt recieve huge hunting pressure like green ridge plus i perfer not to get shot. I know the eastern shore is decent but i like my blood in my body not donating it to the bugs over there so i was hoping for advice on western maryland public property that doesnt recieve as much pressure. Also i want to hunt green ridge but i havent been there yet but was hoping if someone knew of less pressured areas there

wacker 03-19-2007 01:39 PM

RE: Maryland Public Land

If you can kill a gobbler on Maryland public land you will be the greatest turkey hunter of all time.

geterdun2 03-19-2007 01:56 PM

people kill turkey on public land every year - if they didnt then noone would hunt public land. i hunt at green ridge and, yes, there are alot of hunters, but there also alot of land + birds. greenridge is a good place to run + gun or whatever its called b/c its big and u can get to a high point and listen. good luck

Mr. Longbeard 03-19-2007 03:10 PM

If you can kill in Western Md you did something... Do me a favor and post your expieriences from week to week on the public land in western Md this year while your hunting...;)

Mr. Longbeard 03-19-2007 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: geterdun2

people kill turkey on public land every year - if they didnt then noone would hunt public land. i hunt at green ridge and, yes, there are alot of hunters, but there also alot of land + birds. greenridge is a good place to run + gun or whatever its called b/c its big and u can get to a high point and listen. good luck
You really sound like you know your stuff... How many gobblers have you killed in Green Ridge???

ultimag 03-19-2007 07:58 PM

How about Pretty Boy Resevoir. It might be archery only

Mailman29680 03-19-2007 08:08 PM

I can put you on some Savage River spots I took birds from each yearI hunted MD.
I only ever seen one hunter in the area and I'd give him his choice each morning and head on foot another way.
Plenty of birds but the walk is pretty long.

geterdun2 03-20-2007 03:32 PM

longbeard- i honestly have never killed a turkey, this is only my second year. but last year i saw a few others hunter who killed birds there, and i saw one or two myself and heard a good amount as well. if i was experienced at all in turkey hunting i prob. would have bagged a bird, im gonna try there this year just b/c i know some of the terrain and where some birds might be. thanks for the compliment but u actually have probably killed more birds than me, if you have killed just 1 its still more than me lol. good luck guys