Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Senerio

Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Spike

Default Senerio

Ok, it is pre dawn, and you are setup within 100yrds of several roosted toms, and they are gobbling. You are pretty sure there are hens roosted with them.

While still in the roost, are you calling to them? What calls?

And what is your general plan of attack from there?

Thanks boys!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Senerio

You should try doing soft yelps so that the toms think that you are more hens and then they might come in close enough when they fly down investigate. I would not over call to them if they are going to be headed in your direction to their feeding area anyway.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

I like to think like the birds if I know exactly where they are roosted,I will try and figure out where they will pitch down too. Usually to an open area where they have been watching for predators.If they are roosted just below a ridgeline they normally pitch to the ridgetop.I will setup where I think they will pitch too.I may set out a couple of Decoys if I can without being seen. I may lightly tree yelp just before flydown,just so the gobbler knows I am there.I usually wait till he flies down to do the most calling.I also use a wing to simulate flydown.It all depends on how close to the roost I can get,If I am close I do not move very much.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just run underneath of them real fast and throw a spear through the tom... Nah listen to what these guys say. Also if you been in this situation and the hens led you tom away from you when you tried calling soft, try making the hens mad by cutting them off when there calling and such, this has worked almost perfectly for me cept there was the line fence and the birds wouldnt cross it but they wanted to... dumb things!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ultimag

I like to think like the birds if I know exactly where they are roosted,I will try and figure out where they will pitch down too.

x2

If you get the birds to respond to your calls, then if I know that I am in a spot that those gobblers frequent (whether for feeding, water, or strutting) then I am going to hold tight. At some point (and quite possibly not right off the roost) those birds will come by that spot before lunch time. Not 100% of the time, but I'd say about 75% of the time, which is pretty good odds in hunting.

I'll make those happy content clucks and purrs, and perhaps an occasional yelp. They will show up sooner or later. Gotta do your homework for this to work though! You have to know where the birds have been feeding, and where they have been strutting. Also knowing where the hens have been will help as well. In my opinion, successful turkey hunting is 75% scouting, 15% holding still, and 10% knowing when NOT to call, no matter what the situation is.