Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 wisconsin blows!!!!!!!!! >

wisconsin blows!!!!!!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

wisconsin blows!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
z31

Default wisconsin blows!!!!!!!!!

I dont know about you guys but yalls set up for turkey is real messed up with all these zones and 5 day periods its not just difficult to be able to hunt many places caus your stuck to one zone and you only have 5 days to hunt unless you have multiple permits but my dad and I are stuck with out a permit since we just moved here and the applications had to be in by december and the extra permits there giving out are not in the area where we own land and there all the late dates. I just dont know why they cant just have one full one month season and one zone and every one limited to one turkey and all you have to do is buy a turkey stamp. gives every one a chance to experience it. O well now im just babbling I guess im gonna have to just get a zone thats left and a late date and do some seriuos scouting. Any one out there just starting or any handicap hunters out there that have a permit that need some help calling??? just pm id love to help just becaus I love this bird and the sport.

Mike
Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wisconsin blows!!!!!!!!!

One reason i think is so it keeps the hunters in a area woods to a minumum,(Less accidents ) and give other hunters a chanceto hunt that woods if they get permission for different weeks.
Another thing that does would be to limit the number of turkeys taken out of a particular area, so all the males would't be wiped out in a specific area.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey now - I take offense at your post as I am a born and raised in Wisconsin.....it is the law!

However they are many late permits that will go on sale march 23 - so do try to go after one in an area next or close to yours. It is easier to get on private land at the late seasons and all I ever hunted has been 4th, 5th, or 6th season and I have always shot a bird!

Look at it this way. You move here - buy land - somehting which I can not do - and then want it all! So if it bothers you go back home! Yo uwant to rant - I'll rant back at you - you want or need help - I can help.

JW! - Proud Wiscosnin Resident
Old 03-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Way to tell em JW,Wisconsin turkey hunters are just to good at it to open up too liberal of a season.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I might have made an enemy here and that is not what I am about or what I really want..........but is like spittin' on the flag!

And not speaking English!

Sorry there guy...

JW
Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
z31

Hey man im a wisconsin resident now so nothin against your state im just sayen wisconsin is so conservative with hunting but it is nice to see this state cares a lot about there wildlife but I meen heres an example age min is 12 years old I meen come on are we trying to get kids into the sport or notthat law just pushes people away anyway getting off subject. Bout owning the land could never do a thing like that just ran into a great deal somthin me and my dad always wanted. Now between school and track its gonna be very hard to scout so thats why I was hoping to be able to hunt turkeys on our land but Ill take up your offer to help any public spots you think would be worth checking out in maybe zones 25 or 29?

ps:O yea lets be realistic herethe first 2 months iv been here as far as im concernedwisconsin doesnt have S**t on maryland
Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 PM

hahahah you guys are funny texas will always be better.....and i didnt relize all the laws yall got over there that is crazy
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well first let me say - this is hunting and you'll need to hunt for a spot.

And hunting in today's light is a Priveledge and NOT a right. Your tone of your post still does bother me. But then you are dealing with an old guy while you have a ways to catch up to my age from what I understand. I do wish you luck.

And since I do teach Hunter Education and am certified in the state of Wisconsin - yes I don't think a hunter under the age of 12 should be allowed. I see very few that are MATURE enough to handle this adult responsibility. So let's leave it at that.

Area 29 is my home ground - I would start by calling the local DNR service center and ask to speak to a DNR Warden - he/she cold help and give you areas. One over looked area is around Burlington and the Honey Creek Wildlife area. I have seen birds there.Area 29 does hold birds but not as many as further west.

Area 25 is Dodge, part of Waukesha, Washingtonand Ozaukeecounty. I have seen turkeys around Beaver Dam, Allentown, Cedar Grove, & - many small pulbic tracts there and again contact that local area Warden. She is a very nice lady and may put you onto some people she might allow hunters with private land.
Wish I could be more help but I hunt further West around Mauston.

Oh I also have seen turkeys in the area of HWY 151 and Hwy 19 towards Dane county.

Area 29 does have seasons 4, 5 & 6 with permits. To my knowledge they go on sale either on line - at a DNR service center - or at a local license dealer on March 23rd. If it is like last year (was the 1st time) you can buy one kill tag per day per hunter.

Area 25 only has 6th season available and that right there should tell you something. They have more birds!

Now ever since I started turkey hunting this state - my home state - I never had a chance at a second kill tag. Last year I had 3 all in the late season and filled everyone of them and shot NO Jakes. So the opportunity is there and as I said you got to work for it. I have done lots of door knocking - lots of letter writing and lots of car scouting to get where I am with private land to hunt. It is there - it all depends how you go about it.

'
I do wish you success!
Stay Safe out there.

JW
Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 AM

JW where do you teach Hunter Edu? We just had a feild day at our gun club in Richfield--By holy hill.

As to the public land go on the Dnr webpage and you can find maps and all the sort to hunt the public land. We hunt it for birds all the time and the maps on those pages are nice and theyeven tell you what kind of game is around that area.

Pines
Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

well z31 you went about your problem the wrong way here. There are many folks including myself that don't mind helping respectful people with their problems. I own land in two different zones and I know for a fact there are more then a few tags left in each zone. But I would only offer that to respectful people. Just an FYI the great state of WI is considering changing the zones for 2008. There won't be as many. Maybe with any luck you will be drawn for a tag next year. If you own enough land then you can apply with a land owners preference number. If all else fails you could move back to MD.

JW! I couldn't agree more with the 12 year old hunt law.

Quick Reply: wisconsin blows!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.