Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Team 2 !!! "THUNDERSTRUT" >

Team 2 !!! "THUNDERSTRUT"

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 2 !!! "THUNDERSTRUT"

Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Default RE: Team 2 !!! "THUNDERSTRUT"

ill put pictures up soon after class and after i got back in the woods and find my shell. I gunna try and get a bigger one before the season end..... i got 30 more days today was the opener.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 AM

Hey, congrats on the first bird, cant wait to see the pics. Good job!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm back, but I'm not very happy with myself, this weekend I wounded one for the 1st time. I made one of the biggest mistakes a hunter can make, I changed my set-up then went hunting without shooting paper 1st.

I have always used my modified choke tube for everything, it always worked fine, thursday night I figured I should throw my full choke in. Come friday morning I was in the fields and didn't want to start shooting the area up, so I just hunted. Around 5pm I see a nice tom (didn't strut, but thick long beard and lots of blue in his head) at around 35yrds, he was moving around me checking out my jake decoy, I wasn't sure that he would commit so I took the shot, he was thrown back and lost a bunch of feathers, but he took off running, all of the 5 previous turkeys that I have shot simply dropped on the 1st shot. I followed up with a second shot while he ran, and a third just as he entered the tree line.

I found good blood and feathers at the location of the 1st shot, so I was confident that he was dead in the forest. I followed the blood trail (nothing like following a deers blood trail, thats for sure) for a couple hundred yards before the drops turned into more of a fine spray of blood then ended. I figure he must have had the strength to run and take air, the flapping motion would explain the trail turning into a fine spray of droplets.

I almost didn't post this, because I feel like an ass, but I did search till dark (>2hrs), and I'm on this team, so your all stuck with me. I said before that I would hold off for a tom, but now if a big jake comes in close I may pop it just to get my confidence back up again, don't worry, I get 2 tags.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get down tschaef, bad things happen that are out of our control sometimes, no matter how hard we try to do all things right!

I'm headed back to KS. after work tomorrow for another go. I'm taking a friend back with me that has never gotten a turkey, although he's gone turkey hunting twice. He'll be using a shotgun, but I'm taking my bow again. I'll let him shoot clean up!! [8D]My buddy tells me that they are still henned up pretty bad, but still thinks out chances are pretty good! See you guys next week!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

tschaef,
Don't feel so bad. I got out for the first time today and had a similar situation. Didn't see a bird until around 11:30. It was a hen and was yelping a clucking pretty good until it went back to the field it was in with a gobbler. It stopped so i decided to head back to the small field that is on the land i'm hunting. There is a dusting spot and i just noticed today that the birds are roosting in the large pines in the same small field (noticed turkey poop below the trees). I saw a couple birds on the way in to the field. I don't think they saw me b/c theydidn't really run or seem startled. They were out of the field so i decided to look around kinda half assed once they dissapeared. I put the mouth call in, called quick and put the bmobile up. Heard a quick gobble, took position without much cover and noticed the bird coming in. Hesaw the bmobile, which gave himmore of a reason to come check things out. He passed my point of aim so I had to move a little bit. He was right in front of me and I shot. It ended up being about 40 yards. I thought I nailed him until he took off andstarted flying. I took one more shotwhich didn't do anything. No blood or anything. I got up in my deer stand and looked out into the nearest field...there he was sitting out in the middle of itlooking likethe whole situation never happened. It all happened so fast. I feel like a huge idiot for missing. Hopefully tomorrowwill bring better luck.Seemed like a decent bird. Prolly 7-8" beard.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM

BTT, dang no one having any luck today?? It was pouring rain here in central MO, so I didnt make it out, hopefully it wont be raining in the morning, got a buddy with a couple roosted that were going to try to surround, we tried it a couple days ago, and they were very call shy, and I noticed that day that he really likes to call. He invited me back for in the morning, and says we should split up on them, so Im excited, I think quiet is going to be key with these birds, so hopefully I can head them off as hes pushing them off the property..lol
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

The season is over. Post season depression started today. I have to wait until October 15th to go after deer with an arrow and string. Good luck to the rest of my team. You pulled for me when things were rough. I'll pull for you. Good luck and God bless.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get down Arjuna, celebrate your success, your still a part of this team and we appreciate the cheerleading and the points you contributed.

Thanks man.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Here's the picture i Promised the 16lb jake I got. 26pts for the score for the team!!!!

Messed him up bad,,,, hen came to my decoy bringing this jake 5yds away and the hen was about 3yds....... but there was 2 big toms both having like 8-9inch beards but they wouldn't move inside my shooting window and i was afraid the jake and hen would see me so i took out this bird for my first bird.... an Androndack bird non the less.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Well, I finally broke the ice this morningI have had a really tuff season but today revived my spirit. Back out tomorrow.

Species: Rio/Eastern Hybrid
State: Kansas
weight: 18.5lbs
beard: 10.25"
R Spur: 1.25"
L spur: 1.25

Score: 64

Quick Reply: Team 2 !!! "THUNDERSTRUT"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.