HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   henned up toms (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/182992-henned-up-toms.html)

st1 03-03-2007 07:36 AM

henned up toms

I was out scouting this morning and saw a tom that was already henned up. He had 9 or10 hens with him. It seems mighty early in the year for breeding to be starting up. If this is the case what kind of effect might this have on this years season? It seems if they are breeding this early, then they'll be done with it before the season is even half over with. Starts on March 24 here in GA.Any comments?

Criggster 03-03-2007 07:45 AM

RE: henned up toms

I really doubt that they have started breeding just yet. They are probably just sorting out the pecking order, and that tom has won the hearts of those particular hens.

Dr Andy 03-03-2007 07:48 AM

I've been told that by the time the season starts here in IL half of the breeding has already taken place. Is this true?

Tree climber 03-03-2007 08:33 AM

they are already breeding here in Fl. and our season is still over 3 weeks away.they will be winding down by that time.
Same way last year.after the first week they stopped gobbling, never heard one after that first week.[:@][:@]

hope it doesn't happen like that this year,but I think thats just what is gonna happen. [:@][:@][:@]

gselkhunter 03-03-2007 08:43 AM

The biologist I have talked to say hens will start breading when over night temps don't go lower than 42 degrees. And from all the years I have spent hunting turkeys that seems to be a pretty good guide line. The wives tail is if the dandylions are blooming the turkeys are breeding.
Gselkhunter

OntElk 03-03-2007 09:21 AM

Most seasons won't fall in correspondence with peak breeding. If they did the henned up gobbler scenario would drastically reduce success numbers. I believe the objective of season dates is to kind of hit it in the middle. You're still going to have breeding going on but nesting will start as the season progresses. This will result in hens leaving toms and they're late season gobbling picks up. Gobblers will now be out looking for more receptive hens as the bred ones have hatched and they are sitting on thier nest. That is why I like hunting the last week as much as the first week.

So yes , Dr Andy that would be correct and the reason why. They try and manage success numbers of hunters as well as managing the turkey numbers.

If you're season starts March 24th then I would not think it is oddor necessarily early if the Toms are starting to get harems and hope to be be breeding soon. We start 1 month later but they will start far sooner than that.

If you check out nythunter post called "out my bedroom window" I put a pic of a Tom with hens. This was takenlate March up here in Ontario. As I said our season is a full month behind yours so it would be comparable to what you saw.

OntElk 03-03-2007 09:26 AM

Also I think the weather and temp will push things somewhat, one way or the other but the theory that it is photoperidism (exact word?) makes the most sense. That is the length of daylight will trigger it. It's the only consistent thing from year to year. I guess if it's really cold a hen may not wish to breed because of temp effects on nesting factors but utlimately it is the length of day that starts things in motion.

NewYorkGobblers 03-04-2007 11:49 AM

It sounds like he may just be seeking company after be a loner for most the year. If he is indeed henned up already I fear that it may be hard to pry him when season opens. One trick that may get him is using multiple jakes or a full strutting tom decoy (CarryLite Pretty Boy or Primos' B-Mobile), and use the call which has been refered to by many as the excited purr, or thehen in "heat"purr. It is a louder, longer purr made in quick succession that will simulate a hen in dire need of a tom's attention. this may bust up the tom from his harem, and if he see
s another tom (your fanned out decoy), he will get jealous and come to have a show down. You may be able to make a fighting purr using two push button calls making a loud, continous purring sounds alternated on each call. Knight and Hale has a fighting purr kit out, that comes with the two calls and detailed directions. You may be able to pick up a video that demonstrates this and shows it in live film. Good Luck!

Mr. Longbeard 03-04-2007 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: NewYorkGobblers

It sounds like he may just be seeking company after be a loner for most the year. If he is indeed henned up already I fear that it may be hard to pry him when season opens. One trick that may get him is using multiple jakes or a full strutting tom decoy (CarryLite Pretty Boy or Primos' B-Mobile), and use the call which has been refered to by many as the excited purr, or thehen in "heat"purr. It is a louder, longer purr made in quick succession that will simulate a hen in dire need of a tom's attention. this may bust up the tom from his harem, and if he see
s another tom (your fanned out decoy), he will get jealous and come to have a show down. You may be able to make a fighting purr using two push button calls making a loud, continous purring sounds alternated on each call. Knight and Hale has a fighting purr kit out, that comes with the two calls and detailed directions. You may be able to pick up a video that demonstrates this and shows it in live film. Good Luck!

You weren't at the Dixie Deer classic this week end were ya???