Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Camoflauge question...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Camoflauge question...

What do you guys think is a better pattern for spring turkey hunting: Mossy Oak Obsession, or Mossy Oak New Break-Up?

Also, what's better in terms of concealment: that leafy stuff or plain old camo?

*EDIT* The enviroment would be New England woods.

*2nd EDIT* The leafy thing I had in mind is this, the Mossy Oak Diffusion line:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...132&hasJS=true

Anyone have any reviews for it?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Camouflage question...

The one which most matches your environment. Mine is Palmettoes, Pine Woods, and Mossy Oaks.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camouflage question...

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

The one which most matches your environment. Mine is Palmettoes, Pine Woods, and Mossy Oaks.
x2. there was a great discussion about camo on here quite some time ago. people made really good points. they were talking about your basic silouette being broke up rather than the high definition look alike stuff. they said when you buy and wear the high definition stuff it may look good up close but from further away it turns into a dark blob. they also had pic's to reference to. it was a good read!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Camoflauge question...

I mix my camo up to blend in better with the area I hunt in like MosseyOak Forest Floor for the pants and RealTree HD Spring Green for the shirt.
When I'm in my Double Bull T5 ground blind , I'll put on a black sweatshirt with a black face mask to conceal myself inside the blind.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever camo you use, nothing can substitute for sitting still. Last season I had a hen walk past me at 5 yards and not even know I was there. I dropped her boyfriend a few minutes later I was just wearing plain old Mossy Oak Break Up.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I really know what I have for camo. I use a mix I am sure, but I have killed a few turkeys with it. Think a lot has to do is just masking the fact you are something other then a tree or bush!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to opt for the obsession just because it has a little more green in it. And leafy is also the way to go. It gives much more of a 3-d effect. I have a full leafy outfit (headnet, gloves, vest, and pants) from whitewater. I wouldnt advise it but I have actually gotten away with movement right in front of a turkey wearing this stuff.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think it makes any difference as long as your outline is sufficiently broken up and the colors match the terrain. The camo manufacturers marketing departments have let the masses to believe that you need the latest high-tech, computer created, digitally enhanced, hi definition bla bla bla camo pattern to be successful. That is silly, yet most guys seem to fall for it.

Back in the early 80s the only camo I can remember using was the army camo now called "woodlands". There was also some "tiger stripe" camo that was developed for Vietnam - that was hot stuff back then. We called and killed turkeys wearing all this stuff.

If you want to be well hidden take the advice given to me by the best turkey hunter I ever knew - keep some clippers handy and cut some fresh branches to place around you in order to break up your outline. Get your gun up early then SIT COMPLETELY MOTIONLESS. You do this and you can wear whatever camo you want.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

I use Realtree Hardwoods yearround. I agree with the idea that the high detail stuff will tend to stick out at distances. As long as you stay still you're fine. As mentioned before, people killed turkeys for years wearing the army woodland camo (my Poppop did). Stay still and make surey our outline is broken up. You'll be fine.
-- B

Quick Reply: Camoflauge question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.