Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Shells?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Turkey Shells?

Hey guys, I have never been turkey hunting in my life. This past whitetail season, we saw so many turkeys. We hunt at one spot that is a dairy farm, with lots of pastures, woods, and ponds. One hunt I counted 23 turkeys. I never bothered to count which ones were toms though. My Dad, and some of my friends want to try turkey hunting out. We have the shotguns, the decoys, calls, and full cover, but I had questions about turkey rounds.

Is there a size/shot limit on your shells. Can you use BB shot if you want?

What kind of shells do you guys have th emost success with?

I have read some old posts, but I could'nt find an exact answer, and I couldnt find it from the GA DNR website. Sorry if you guys have answered this ? 1000 times. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Shells?

Check your state regs. Most states limit shot size to 4,5,6 and some 7.5. Also, lots of states require you to plug your gun for a max of 3 shells. Most states won't allow any gun smaller than 20 Ga. Also, you should pattern your guns to make sure your choke/load patterns well out to 35-40 yards. Scroll through this forum and read related posts, there's lots of info here for a newbie! Good luck!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Calling should be on your "Learn to do List" Try this siteto getstarted... http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/library/libindex-calling-learn.htm

Old 02-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Iowa #4,5,6,71/2,8 or nontoxic 2,3 shot is the only size thats legal.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely do what hawgnman suggested and get some good calling practice in. As far as shot size goes, most people use either 4, 5, or 6 shot out of a 12 guage shotgun using a choke designed for turkey hunting. The bad part is you are going to have to go out with your gun and buy several different loads / brands of shells and see what patterns best out of your gun. This will help you greatly to know the limits of your gun and wether or not you can take a 40 or 50 or even a 60 yard shot or not. I personally have found that my gun (Remington 870 SPS-T with a Primos Jellyhead choke) shots the federal 3.5" #5 shot the best, followed closely by the Winchester Supreme 3.5" #5 shot. However, your gun will pattern differently than mine, even if it is the same make / model. Best of luck this season and hope you get one!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM

I would just use a pheasent load, you only really wont to take shots at 30 or less yards. Some high dollar turkey loads have less pellets but they are bigger, I rather have more smaller pellets.