Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Decoys.....HELP!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Turkey Decoys.....HELP!

I'm new to turkey hunting this year and i would like to buy some dekes, what is the best brand to buy? how many should i have, what's a good deke set for birds? thanks a lot guys for your help
Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Decoys.....HELP!

I believe the inflatable decoys are the best ones to get.

click the link

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2002972
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you really wanna buy some decoys then you should get at leastthree of them to make what we call a ( love triangle ) two hens and a jake will work real good.
To make a ( love triangle ) you should have one feeding hen , one alert hen and one inturder jake and when you go to set them up you should place your hens close to your blind and your jake should be in front of you about 10 to 15 yards away.
As for best brand ... well thats up to you , shop around and look at all the diffrent brands then pick out the one you like .
I use the Bobb'n Head Breading Pair and the Bobb'n Head Feeding Hen , the color and detail are great and the moving head makes them look more real.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 PM

i disagree with the inflatable decoys. if you really want to get those toms running try the pretty boy or the primos b-mobile. they're pricey but totally worth it. the love triangle is the way to go with a jake and hen close together and a hen off to the side about 10 yards. if you can try and get a jake mounting a hen. I personaly use delta, very strong and realistic and easy to set up, stay away from flambeau
Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 AM

Personally, I prefer the collapsible foam decoys. They're lightweight and easy to carry.

I usually only carry two decoys and any one time, both hens. Its been my experience that the Jake decoys tend to scare off even the mature birds in my area. Go figure, as its a tactic used with great success by many others.

I haven't had a chance to hunt with one, but I've heard of people having great success with full strut tom decoys. Maybe I'll drop the money and pick up Primos' new B-Mobile decoy this spring and try him out.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again, the great decoy debate. Last time I put my two cents in. Don't go crazy and spend a ton of money on decoys. I use feather flex. They are cheap, light, and look realistic enough to fool any gobbler. These companies want you to spend a lot of money on their products. They all look great on the videos. Any decoy will work at times, and other times it won't. You don't need several decoys to draw in a gobbler. I usually just use one or two hens and get great results. If you want to spend a lot of money on decoys that's fine, but there is really no need to. Everyone has their preferences and I'm not knocking any of them. If someone wants to spend 400.00 on a mounted one that's fine, but I will stick with feather flex and do just as good as the hunter using the 400 dollar one.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the "love triange" that RDHunter was talking about. One thing that I do different though is I put the jake behind both hens. I try to make it look like the jake is following the hens around. I have read several places that this is one of the best tactics. This is even stated on huntingnet.com to do this: http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpages/staticpage_detail.aspx?id=226

I have also expierenced the love - hate relationship that they are talking about in this article. I have had gobblers come running through a field from 200 to 300 yards away and stop about 50 to 60 yards out and go into a full strut and not move a single inch closer. That is a sickening feeling, however, watch that gobbler come running to you from 200 yards away in a full out sprint...if that doesn't get the blood pumping, I don't know what will...
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to second FeatherFlex. There are realistic enough, extremely light weight, extremely mobile, and have been very effective for me. Check em out.

Either way, you can't go wrong with about any decoy these days (although I would steer away from the 2D flat decoys). If is all a matter of how much you want to spend and how mobile you want to be. But any decoy on the market today is more than capable of calling in a ol' Tom.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Here we go again, the great decoy debate. Last time I put my two cents in. Don't go crazy and spend a ton of money on decoys. I use feather flex. They are cheap, light, and look realistic enough to fool any gobbler. These companies want you to spend a lot of money on their products. They all look great on the videos. Any decoy will work at times, and other times it won't. You don't need several decoys to draw in a gobbler. I usually just use one or two hens and get great results. If you want to spend a lot of money on decoys that's fine, but there is really no need to. Everyone has their preferences and I'm not knocking any of them. If someone wants to spend 400.00 on a mounted one that's fine, but I will stick with feather flex and do just as good as the hunter using the 400 dollar one.
I deffinatly agree with superstrutter
different people like different types of decoys
I personally like the inflatables but others like the featherflex
you just have to decide which one works best for you
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like delta, but I'm sure any would do. My feeding hen has been shot several times in the line of duty and she's still going strong I tote around one hen and one jake.

Quick Reply: Turkey Decoys.....HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.