Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Can't hit the close ones >

Can't hit the close ones

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Can't hit the close ones

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Can't hit the close ones

Does anybody else have trouble hitting a turkey that is 20 yards or less? It seems like the the last three years that's all I've had and I only got 1 of em and he was 15 steps away (where he fell) and was in flight. Other than that I've had 5 up close misses and that gets under my skin. I know my problem is that I'm not taking my time and aiming correctly. I remember 1 gobbler that was 20 steps away standing next to an old fence row and after I missed him I went back to see if I could tell where my shot went in the briars and turns out I shot about 2 feet high[:@]
Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can't hit the close ones

I think that's a hunter malfunction rather than an equipment one. I guess you can get Tom fever just like you can buck fever. I just wish all of them would get 20 steps or less. Sorry, but I don't have the same problem as you. If one gets that close, he is going down for good. Not saying that it will never happen to me, it just hasn't yet. I've missed a few, but that was during the first few years I started turkey hunting and they weren't point blank range. Needless to say I learned a lot in those first few years. My day is probably coming though. I'm sure I will eventually miss another one.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 AM

Unless you've already got a good site system, I'd start by improving on that or even go to a scope. Then site in using an Improved Cylinder choke tube using inexpensive rifled slugs. Then conferm site in with your Turkey load and Turkey choke. And, keep your cool when he's Gobble'n in your face.
[/align]
[/align]DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS THROUGH ANYTHING EXCEPT AN IMPROVED CYLINDER CHOKE TUBE

[/align]
Old 02-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

When i would shoot a turkey with a gun i always aim where the feathers meet the fleshy part of the head, and never had a problem.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried to go to a range and pattern your gun at that distance. My thinking would be the shot hasnt opened up yet at that close of range. Im might be wrong just an idea.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The shot pattern will be pretty tight at less than 20yds. If you know for sure all your shots will be close,due to brush etc. you may want to use a more open choke. If you're hunting large clearings or fields you may need to shoot at a greater distance. You should definitely pattern your gun at this distance to see whatyour pattern is doing and if the point of impact of your pattern is the same as the sights.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

I started using a red dot then changed to fiber optic rifle sights and I think that is my problem. I am a wingshooter first and I know where my stock needs to be on my cheek. So when my head is on the stock where it would be if I was sighting down the rib (or wingshooting) my sights are not lined up. I think that is what I'm doing, putting my head to low and just seeing sights glowing and shooting.

I can kill paper turkeys all day long at any range.

I have 3 solutions:
1 Use nothing but the factory bead
2 Don't shoot at anything closer than 30 yards
3 Go back to the red dot or scope
Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention, I use standard full choke. At 20 yards the pattern is about the size of a basketball or slightly smaller as I can't find any of my patterns. I also use a full choke to duck hunt with and can hit them just fine.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wont shoot at a bird less than 10 yds, i did twice and both times i missed, thank God, i got another shot both times and ended up with birds, but that miss, even thought it was redeemed, sucked !
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

are you looking up before you shoot that causes your gun to go up and you shoot over.

Quick Reply: Can't hit the close ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.