Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

tuning your box call

Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: tuning your box call

well I have sat beside BT against a tree and listened to the box music and it sounds sweet to me. I'll take you up on that AH.

I read that NWTF thing and sure didn't seem right to me. It makes sense Shallow what you're saying. You buy a custom made box and the guy who did it is an expert at setting it up for you. You buy a manufactured call and it's spends a couple season in your vest and eventaully you want to tune it.

It's like a gutiar. I have seen some play it awesome but hand it off when it gets out of tune for someone who has theknack to tune it back.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 AM

I'd get with Adrian if I were you, he's probably a master at rework'n manufactured calls.
But I would think oledick would hook him up with a good'n.

I gotta believe some call maker was taken Rob Keck for the kinda ride he takes this whole country. LMAO

[/align]
Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really not sure why I am getting knifes tossed at me when I expressed my opinion on what I do with box calls.

I open the same packages as everyone else that buys a call from the shelf and I use up a tag or two each season too.

I never cut up any call makers here and don't understand why this thread has turned like this , butI guess the rest of us turkey hunters are not hunters with out a custom call

I never read this from Rob Keck but I don't believe he is misleading anyone.

I have heard a awefull lot of custom box calls sound a little off and as well have seen a lot of custom call makers make a mess at trying to run them too...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I missed something. Some underlying tones.

No worries BT. I am quite sure our "manufactured" calls out of the plastic will work fine for us this spring

You can tune my call and we'll post pics of the bird it kills
Old 02-12-2007, 04:51 AM

I missed something too...[/align]
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'm still using the same Lynche's world champion box call that I bought whenI was 17. I'm now 41 and have never used any other call except my own voice. I have chalked my call maybe 5 times in 24 years and it still does the job year after year. Of course new rubber bands are a seasonal thing, but otherwise I have done nothing to it.I tried mouth calls once but couldn't get them to make a sound. I have no idea how many birds I've killed over the years, but between being able to kill two each spring and two each fall, but not being much of a fall hunter I'd guess 60. The other 36 I might have taken were lost to missed seasons, illness or taking others hunting and not taking my own gun, which is something I do more and more. I see no reason at this point that it won't perform another 24 years of service, unlessI break it. It has spent 90% of it's time riding on the dash of my truck, which hasn't seemed to hurt it either. I now wish that I had taken more pics of my turkeys over the years but only have maybe 15 and only a few good ones. My best pic is at www.hiddenvalleyhuntingllc.com