Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first turkey

Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Default first turkey

hi, last year was my first time turkey hunting...it took me about a week to finally get close enough to shoot one..i shot it and it was a pretty nice jake..hopefully this coming year i get a really nice Tom.. i was wondering how long it took you to kill your first bird.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first turkey

Welcome again,
it took me a couple of weekends into my 1st season to take a jake, it wasn't untill my 3rd season before I took a big tom.
Got pictures of your 1st ?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

yeah, i have a picture..but im trying to find it on my computer..will post asap..Thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if your talking about spring hunting it took me 2 or 3 days to get the Gobbler i wanted.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums young lady
I got my first bird during the fall season my first year trying it was a hen but it tasted good.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM

It took me three years to kill my first turkey. But I was unable to go about four times in those three years since I play baseball. He was a big tom well worth the wait.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM

I took my first bird on a youth hunt when I was 15. It was a jake, but thats what started my addiction. Now I am 20, and this past season i was able to take 2 birds, and one was a double with my best friend. I cant wait til this season!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was my first time turkey hunting also I got lucky got a nice jake first day of first season & a tom with a 11 inch beard second day of 4th season.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 AM

The last day of my first Spring Season in 94, a 9 1/2 inch beard.[/align][/align]OK HuntiingGal, you gotta hold yourself to shoot'n an adult Gobbler. You've got a kill under your belt and now must realize that it's the call'n em in that's the true challenge. I look forward to hearing of your first Long Beard.[/align]
Old 02-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first year I hunted turkeys I got out maybe 3 or 4 times, and I didn't score. One of those times though I had gobblers sounding off in multiple directions and called one in but it was just out of range with no clear shot. Even though I didn't score that day, that was the day I believe I got hooked for life. After that season I moved to a different state and didn't have the opportunity to hunt for several years, but the next season I did hunt, I was out maybe 3 or 4 times and called in 2 longbeards together about a week into the season and killed my first bird.

Quick Reply: first turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.