Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Box call infromation...

Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Box call infromation...

I don't believe in stupid questions, but for this I may need to make an exception. I recently bought a H.S. Strut Cutter Deuce. Though it is a very easy-to-use call, I do have a question. 1. Other than resistance, what purpose do the rubber-bands have on a box call? 2. Are these simply ruber bands, or is it something I need to purchase at an outdoors store?

Thanks for the help and for being patient with my uninformed questions.

-Jay
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Box call infromation...

Yes .... there just rubber bands , you don't have to buy any special brand just use some that you have around the house.
Some turkey hunter's put rubber bands on their box call for difrrent reasons , 1 is to create tension or pressure on the lid when making calls.
2 the bands keep the lid in place and help reduce noise while it's in your vest when walking around.
For more info about box call's , ask ShallowRio about them ,he's an expert on the box.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 AM

RD has got you in pretty good shape. Some folks like a rubber band to keep the lid in contact with the sound boards while runnin the call, mostly for Gobble'n. They'll hold either the box itself or the handle and shake the daylights out of it to produce a Gobble. Some manufacturers install eye screw to hold the rubber band in place for this purpose. I'll be ptutting together a post showing different ways of Gobble'n on a box as soon as I can.[/align]To keep you box call from squeak'n in your vest pocket while traveling, I recomend a small piece of soft scotch brite or brillo between the box and paddle. Secured with the use of a rubber band.[/align][/align]I think expert might be push'n it RD, but I do love box calls.[/align]
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShallowRio

RD has got you in pretty good shape. Some folks like a rubber band to keep the lid in contact with the sound boards while runnin the call, mostly for Gobble'n. They'll hold either the box itself or the handle and shake the daylights out of it to produce a Gobble. Some manufacturers install eye screw to hold the rubber band in place for this purpose. I'll be ptutting together a post showing different ways of Gobble'n on a box as soon as I can.
[/align]To keep you box call from squeak'n in your vest pocket while traveling, I recomend a small piece of soft scotch brite or brillo between the box and paddle. Secured with the use of a rubber band.
[/align]
[/align]I think expert might be push'n it RD, but I do love box calls.

[/align]
You are sooo right about that gobble call , I've done that quiet a few times and it sounds great but I don't think I'm pushing the expert part
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShallowRio

...To keep you box call from squeak'n in your vest pocket while traveling, I recomend a small piece of soft scotch brite or brillo between the box and paddle...
I use a rubber band on my box for this very reason, however, I have never used a scotch brite or brillo between the box and paddle. Shallow....does this alter the performance of the call at all? When walking around and all the vibrations of movement, would the paddle get "sanded" or the box lid get "sanded"? I know the scotch brite literally won't sand the box...I am just wanting to verify that performance on the box won't be effected.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Just a small piece of soft brillo toward the end opposite the screw.
Notice the slight lift this gives the paddle preventing contact between the sound board and the paddle.
Also amighty fine checker'n job if I say myself
[/align][/align][/align]" />
[/align]
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice tip...I may have to take your advice on that!!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a leather strap on each box call I have that holds the sound board tight. Simple overhand cinch knot inthe leather lacing - easy on and easy offand it is free......

I also rubber band all boxes I have whether they come with it or not.......

JW
Old 02-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Thank you all so much for your help... and for the input on keeping the box from making noise when walking - that could come in real handy.