HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Couple Questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/179078-couple-questions.html)

Rusty_S 02-05-2007 07:10 AM

Couple Questions

I have a couple of questions. Any help would be appreciated. I have been on a few turkey hunts and have come up empty. My first q is....

I know that there are turkey's around my property (hear the gobbling and seen them feeding) but every time I go out there early in the morning and set up they seem to dissapear or don't come into a call. Last year I put corn out on the edge of my pasture and set up a ground blind in a fallen down pine tree. Turkeys were there every other weekend feeding. Come hunting season they are gone. What do I do?????

Also.. What is the best way to set up a ground blind. homebuilt or natural?

RDHunter 02-05-2007 11:05 AM

RE: Couple Questions

Rusty
That fallen down pine tree would make a good natural ground blind just put some dead fall branch's in front of it so they can't see you.
When you get out there before first light , do a couple of tree yelps calls to get them started and when you hear them gobble back , do a fly down cackle with a couple of yelps.
Yelp everytime they gobble then wait for them to come in , when they show up be quiet and let them make there move.
It would help alot if you have some decoys in the pasture so when they see them , they'll come in closer if they stop do some soft clucking and maybe some purring.

Rusty_S 02-05-2007 11:15 AM

Thanks... :D I will have to do a little work to make the blind to where it has a good angle. How many decoys? I have a tom and a hen. Both OK?

RDHunter 02-05-2007 11:21 AM

Yes as long as the tom is a jake or bubba strut tom , I always put out three decoys out , two hens and a jake.

Rebel Hog 02-05-2007 11:46 AM

As long as you do not useMaybellene make-up as RD!:D:D:D:D

RDHunter 02-05-2007 11:48 AM

Reble
You old dog .... that was funny :D

Rusty_S 02-05-2007 11:50 AM

Thats what I meant. Sorry about that. i will use Mayballene if it helps me take a turkey this season.

Rebel Hog 02-05-2007 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Rusty_S

Thats what I meant. Sorry about that. i will use Mayballene if it helps me take a turkey this season.
No Rusty, Mary K is better!:)

To answer your question, Decoys will help!

RDHunter 02-05-2007 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Rusty_S

No Rusty, Mary K is better!:)

To answer your question, Decoys will help!
Is that the brand you use :D

RDHunter 02-05-2007 12:08 PM

Here's a picture of my decoy set up