Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 bicycles + turkey hunting...whadda think...? >

bicycles + turkey hunting...whadda think...?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

bicycles + turkey hunting...whadda think...?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Default bicycles + turkey hunting...whadda think...?

hey fellas. heres an idea, it might be crazy so if it is let me know.i was thinking of how to get around easier and quiter while running the roads and listening for gobbles. i usually just ride the roads of largepublic land tracts before morning, listen for gobbles andthen stopping to blowsome locater calls to see if i can get response - and when i do i park the car and walk towards the gobble. well, that is very loud when the door opens, shuts, slams, etc. i feel like it scares away birds. how do you guys feel about using a mountain bike to get around the roads. so i can ride, stop and blow a locater, listen,and then quickly and quietly move to the next location, instead of getting in anad out of a car every 100 yards. let me know some honest thoughts, thanks guys
Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bicycles + turkey hunting...whadda think...?

I think thats a good idea, i never thought of that but if your overweight or not in shape then it'll be a problem lol.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:39 PM

that's an excellent idea. you will hear a lot more birds gobbling and even have a better chance at spotting tracks roosting sites, strut zones ect, becuase you are going a lot slower. also, you will hear more activity such as hens yelping and purring, while you wouldn't hear it while driving in a car. happy hunting
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see why it woudn't work. Could potentially be a little dangerous with a gun if you don't take the need precautions. Depending on the type of terrain of your land, you could get an electric golf cart. My father-in-law does this because he has a severe case of arthritis while he hunts and hasn't seen any negitive effects on the wildlife. If you are in rough terrain, then this wouldn't be a possibility.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM

do it. if for no other reason you'll be turning something you enjoy into a healthy exercise.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Spike

Have you lost your mind....I can barely walk at the altitudes I hunt in (8000 ft)
Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

It works great - I did for quite a few years - Moutian bike allowed me to scout forest trails quickly and quietly.

JW
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno... Nothing like hearing a turkey gobble when you slam your car door
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 PM

You're on to something there... wanting to be less intrusive. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you'd be better off doing some scouting pre-season and have a few spots picked out you can ride your bike to to hunt, instead of riding around and stopping in random spots blowing locator calls. I've lost count of how many times I've been working a bird, or trying to work a bird when I hear someone out at the road blowing a locator. More often than not the bird will shut up and move on, or start gobbling again 30 minutes later when locator call guy is 7 miles down the road.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Dominant Buck

We have some WMA's in FL that have vehicle restrictions on certain areas. You have to park it in the parking area and go it on foot or on bikes. NO VEHICLES, DIRT BIKES ORATV'sBEYOND THIS POINT!

Many proceed on their MountainBikes. They have been doing this for years.

Quick Reply: bicycles + turkey hunting...whadda think...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.