Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Missouri public hunting grounds >

Missouri public hunting grounds

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Missouri public hunting grounds

Old 02-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Missouri public hunting grounds

Not where we hunt in Missouri, just more men hunting..
Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

And now I see that we get to pay $175.00 for our 2 tags......
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM

[:'(]I have been planning a trip to MO for the last three years, I my son is in the 82nd Airborne & we justcan't juggle the schedule.
Plus he has been deployed over 700 days between Iraq & Afganistan...
He found out about the turkey hunting in Mo while in basic training at Leonard Wood. There web site was easy to use & gives you maps w/game species, vegetation types, camping etc. I found it very helpful...

Sounds like their secret is out & lots of hunters in the woods, same as WI in some spots. Except wenow have people shooting each other overhere!
Our public lands that are close to the metro areas, 30/45 minuets from home get hammered! But they are loaded with game also, all of the construction in the area has killed the family farms. They were smart & took the money & run, work your hands to the bone for $ 5 bucks an hour.
New subdivisions every were & all those small wood lots gone forcing the game into these area's.
We just lost 10,000 acres of forest crop land in prime Central WI cedar swamp/oak ridges, timber, cornfields. It had been open to public use forever, then one day a sign...

Inow travel to MN for a week of hunting & saw the pressure there also!
This year I found an Archery only WMA in MNcalled the Dr. Johan C Hvoslev,no guns allowed. 200 aces of everything plus a trout stream running Thur it!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bullshooter

And now I see that we get to pay $175.00 for our 2 tags......
The reason we raise the cost or our tags isto keep up withthe cost of surrounding states price for out of staters.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

$175.oo for 2 turkeys??? Well last time I checked Texas was 100.00 for 4 birds, and here in PA you get deer and all small game for 101.00, and for 41.00 more you get your 2nd spring gobbler tag. Mo is not even close with the price....
Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt mainly public ground in southeast Missouri. The hunting is awsome. We have some private land but owners won't give permission, even if they don't hunt. So i take what I can, I hunt public land and have great success.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bullshooter

$175.oo for 2 turkeys??? Well last time I checked Texas was 100.00 for 4 birds, and here in PA you get deer and all small game for 101.00, and for 41.00 more you get your 2nd spring gobbler tag. Mo is not even close with the price..

Texas is actually 120.00 for just turkeys. Many states are more than that. To hunt turkeys in Tenn. all season you are going to pay 251.00, which I will. I can can take four and I can deer hunt also next season with the same license. Out of state licenses are only going to increase in time. It's called inflation[:'(][:@]. PA will increase in time. With the cost of some non-resident licenses, I don't think 175.00 is that bad. You better enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Yes the cost will increase. Big bucks in huntung these days. With folks making more and more money and willing to part with it, the conservation commissions want some of that dough and they will get it. People will pay anything to hunt. I would hate to be a young hunter just starting out in these times with the cost of things so high.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by olered54
Anybody hunt public ground in NE Missouri? Is the Atlanta CA or Indian Hills CA open to hunt turkey? Any good? Any other sugestions appreciated. Cannot afford an outfitter this year and I have no private ground to hunt this year. Thanks
Olered,
I just returned from a 2 week work/hunting trip to NE Missouri. I hunted several different public lands, including Deer Ridge & DaleDavis. Now you must take into account I hunted the 3rd week, but overall I would rate the quality as pathetic. There were virtually no birds on public ground. Was wise enough to move quickly to areas bordering private timber. There were some birds there, including 2 toms I called in right up to the fence, 15 yards from me. However, they would not cross. Had encounters with a couple others but they were obviously pressured.

After talking to the locals, I concur the glory days of Missouri are over for now. Several consecutive cold, wet springs have resulted in very poor hatches. The lack of jakes was especially evident. I have no plans to return there unless quality improves.

I was told there are still birds on the public in the southern part of the state, but not the northeast.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bullshooter
$175.oo for 2 turkeys??? Well last time I checked Texas was 100.00 for 4 birds, and here in PA you get deer and all small game for 101.00, and for 41.00 more you get your 2nd spring gobbler tag. Mo is not even close with the price....
Guys, it's $190 this season. I was there and paid it. Wish it was $75 like it was the first year I hunted there. But to be honest, I would pay twice that amount to come and hunt Missouri. By far my favorite place in the country to hunt. Been up there since the early 90's. I agree that there has been a decline in birds. Seems that there has been bad hatches in isolated areas. The farms I hunt in NW MO have plenty of birds. I have seen several bunches of jakes each year including this year, not to mention heard 20 plus gobblers on each farm I hunted.

Quick Reply: Missouri public hunting grounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.