Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calling Practice

Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Calling Practice

Time to get the turkey calls out and practice calling.
What calls do use what ever if it a box , slate or mouth call.
I have some Quaker Boy , H. S. Strut , Knight - n - Hale and a few others that I like to play with.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Calling Practice

I've got a Cody glass call (just got for Christmas, so I've been playing around with it a lot), and a Knight & Hale box call. I'd really like to learn how to use a mouth call effectively too before spring.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 PM

I have one home made one the "tominator" But I want to get a box or slate or diaghram call and I really need a locator.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, the key is to get a couple calls that you are good on. A slate call is very versatile, as well as a tube call. Box calls make greats sounds as well! However the mouth call has revolutionized the way people hunt! Get practicing!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was hoping you would reply to this post with your username being what it is
What calls do you like the most and how long have you beenturkey hunting ?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

PM sent!

My favorite calls are probably my glass over glass or Alum over slate calls. The thing that really matters I think is that you have to have confidence in your skills and calling ability, call at the wrong time and he's going to sit out there 80 yards away. Call at the right time and he's gunna get whacked!
I have been turkery hunting for 10 years!
Shoot straight!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Typical Buck

Like Willie said, you need to find a few calls that you have confidence in. I try to take a glass over slate, a glass over glass, and a slate over glass for friction calls, and a few diaphragms that I can make any call I want when needed. Itake that many callsfor R&D purposes, but it's certainly not necessary. If I were you, I'd get 1 call you really work welland a handfull of strikers to go with it. Practice up, try different strikers to get the different sounds. It's always good to become skilled on a diaphragm for the hands-free benefits of working close birds too. But the MOST IMPORTANT thing is practice, practice, practice. You have to know that when you try to make a cackle, it will sound like a cackle.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually stick to a slate call, as that is what I am best at, however, I can do some basic calling with a mouth call. I have been practicing with a mouth call for a while now and I can definitely tell that I have gotten a lot better with it than when I first started!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

My commute to work is 140 miles round trip. I have had my mouth calls riding with me since I got a new one for Christmas. I hate that vinyl taste when they are new!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

My commute to work is 140 miles round trip. I have had my mouth calls riding with me since I got a new one for Christmas. I hate that vinyl taste when they are new!
Good idea too bad I can't do that on the school bus I go down to the basement and practice.

Quick Reply: Calling Practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.