Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Self guided turkey hunt

Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Spike

Default Self guided turkey hunt

I am already preparing for turkey season next year. I would really like to go on a self guided turkey hunt in Kansas or Nebraska. I am looking at spending somewhere around $600 for a three day hunt. Can anyone give me a PERSONAL recommendation
Old 07-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Self guided turkey hunt

I myself use Grand River outfitters in northern Missouri. Don puts me on close to birds and I do it all myself. He charges $750 but that includes the tag. He provides the lodging and meals. Let me tell ya the accomedations are fantastic. Not to mention the number of birds. I killed 2 birds this year with Don and had a blast. Im returning again next year. Ive hunted with Don for 3 years now and am very satisfied. Give Don a call and he can set ya right up for next year. And let me tell ya once you taste Sammies cookin you will be a return customer. Oh how he can cook. Just give him a call. Grand River outfitters in Hale Missouri... Tell him Arrowmaster sent ya.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now this is an interesting post. Why you ask ?

Well for one , Arrowmaster you just posted a thread about how to do a Grandslam the cheep way and you are stating that you are going back to MO to hunt with Don at the cost of $750.00.

I have a question for you now ? Why would you spend unneeded money on hunting Easterns that you can hunt at home and you want to try for a different Subspecie for a grandslam ? Would you not think that the money you are spending on that hunt would be better put towards hunting a different sub that you can not hunt all the time ?

Doe Killer

There is a number of different places that you can self hunt for Rio's and I take it thats what you are after in Kansas or Nebraska. I traveled that part of the country back years ago and hit a number of different management DNR's and got info to hunt this places. I did not see a lot of hunting action at the time I was around them parts and the bird numbers where large. I've killed birds in both States that you are targeting but also both States are large and I could have been in different areas then you intend to hunt. Chadron NE , has a number of public access points that one can put a Rio into the back of the truck with out spending a great amount on the hunt. You maybe best to contact the DNR and ask for info on management lands that are close to the areas you have in mind...BT
Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 AM

Well i think you could put together a pretty good hunt for less then that. The out of state permitt is only 86.00. The most expensive part would be the gas getting here and back. The Chadron area has a lot of access and a good amount of turkeys to hunt. Also Harlan has good number of turkeys and a fair amount of hunting open to the public. Another place that is overlooked is the Calamus area. There is some long beards on public ground. It is a little tricky to get permission here on private ground, but as long as you ask, you have a really good chance on getting on some good private ground.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I never once in my other post Grand Slam said anything about going cheap. I was looking for others who have completed the grand slam. As for going back to hunt in Missouri with Don and spending the 750 isnt a problem. I enjoy my time hunting out there. So yes I would spend the extra 750.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel as I read your reply AM that I affended you , trying to exsplain that a grandslam could be done easy with out a large expence. When I type a responds to any post I try to relate the question to the thread starter and the other 50,000 people reading the post. I appoligize for the affencive post I was mearly trying to set the understanding that a person could hunt Easterns anywhere , spend money in other sub you can nothunt.

Enjoy MOwith Don, I have hunted Mo as well and it was ok.

To answer your question with a straight answer now

Yes , I have completed the grandslam a number of times and quit registering them after 5...BT
Old 07-08-2006, 08:53 PM
neb
Typical Buck

What is a grand slam?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: neb

What is a grand slam?
You have grand slam and royal slam!
Turkey Grand Slam Hunts - Wild Turkey Hunt and Hunting

Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

all my hunts are self guided i spent 800.00 just on gas this year
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM

I don't understand why anyone would spend money to hunt turkey's anywere when there is so much public land and we have this great forum and all share the same pasion. I'm sorry but i hunt on 10,000 acres in fla. and if some needed to fill the grand slam i would have no problem helping a fellow turkey hunter mabey i'm different but it's all about passing it on