Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Official contest FINAL SCORE >

Official contest FINAL SCORE

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Official contest FINAL SCORE

Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official contest FINAL SCORE

Pat,

Let me first say that I could care who won. I've been on this site a looong time, and I remember the first few contests. Usually there were 3-4 teams, and each team harvested 3 or 4 birds.

The contests are definitely fun, to read the stories and see the pictures, including the misses. We all know that the missed opportunities often make us better hunters, so sharing the defeats (in a way) makes us all better...

I guess I should have began my earlier post by stating that it was going to be a bit sarcastic. I just wanted you to realize that you seemed to be passing blame around on everything in your life. We're all busy. I'm about to matriculate a Doctorate program, I do home-remodeling on the side, my wife works part-time and I've got two small children (5 & 1) that I care for the nights my wife works. I squeeze in hunting and some competitive sports on the side... MOST of us on here lead busy lives...

I was just pointing out that as a moderator, you could have contacted the other mods for help. Considering that a few members on this board were over-eager to get the results, I'm sure they would have assisted also. A simple two sentence reply stating you were swamped would have let everyone know exactly HOW busy you are/were.

Good luck with the upcoming season

Cheers,
S&R
Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pat,

Thanks for running the contest and posting the results, it was a lot of fun. Yes, the camraderie and making of new friends is the main part of the contest BUT we are all competitive by nature. If the contest was just for meeting new people why in the world did we keep score in the first place. Another way to sum all this up is to ask yourself if you watched the superbowl and didnt get to find out the final score for two months.

Anyway it was a good time and I am looking forward to participating next year.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:55 PM

Guys, Pat don't have to do this. Just doesn't have to. I think it's important to realize that IF we want to continue to have fun w/ these contests we best not be biting the hand that feeds, ya know? Pat's a busy dude, and perhaps next year he'll solicite help if he needs it. But the bottom line here is this. If we want to have a contest next year, let's be grateful we have fellas like Pat that are willing to put in.....oh, I don't know, how many hours would you say you put in doing this, Pat.....Prolly close to 40 or so, huh?

That being said, I simply would just like to extend my right hand to Pat, and say thanks for the hard work. I look forward to it again next year!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

I didnt have a problem the way the contest was ran. I think its great Pat took on the responsibility on running the contest. This was my first year entering the contest and I myself enjoyed reading the posts and looking at everyone and their birds. I guess one thing that turkey hunting has taught me thru out the years is patience. I also put it to use in everyday life. So I didnt care when the scores were posted.I myself dont have a problem helping out next year with the contest. Maybe some others on here should also speak up and volunteer to help out. If others want the scores back in a matter of days then feel free to volunteer as well. Maybe each team should have a designated scorer and have them tally up the scores. Just a thought... Arrowmaster
Old 07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Normally I wouldn't be like this but enough is enough. I don't get paid by hunting net to run a contest, I don't even workk for huntingnet. I did this mainly to just help other hunters meet each other. It strictly a volunteer event. I guess what I am trying to say is EVERY HUNTER that got to go out in the woods this year is a WINNER. Results from the contest are just a bonus. Yea it may give you bragging rights
I know the feeling I did the deer gun contest,
Last 05/06 season its not as easy as it looks.
Just putting the teams toghether is kinda hard.

And I did the fishing tournament the year before.

Im in school now, 11 hrs a day 4 days a week
for 2 years so I probbly won't have
Any time to do any for a while.
But it was fun.
And there was some good pictures and storys.

jrbsr

Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

If we want to have a contest next year, let's be grateful we have fellas like Pat that are willing to put in.....oh, I don't know, how many hours would you say you put in doing this, Pat.....Prolly close to 40 or so, huh?
AgainI thank Pat for running the contest, he took the initiative to step forward and volunteer.

BUT Mobow dont try to tell me it took 40 hours of time to run the contest. Let's see, there's step 1: copy last years rules and post a sign up sheet-total time 1 hour, step 2: pick teams 2 hours, step 3: add up scores and post results 2 hours= total time 5 hours spread out over a couple months. Thats not that hard for most people even with a busy schedule. Pat has probably spent more time dealing with thecriticism than he did with the contest. And yes I would love to run the contest myself or help in anyway i can next year. Pat, let me know if you need anything.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM

LOL.......oh, to be so young and nieve.........

So, it wasn't important for him to read through the team threads, make changes as necessary, answer COUNTLESS pm's and questions.....?????

But I can only assume you are speaking from experience here on HNI, right???
Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

It does take longer than you think. Actually I type out all of the rules but thank you for the suggest of copying them from the previous years post, (brain fart made me not think of that).; Then I do have to weed through all of the posts, answer alot of pm's and try to stay on top of the sign up. Then after all of that Iactually print out all of the results pages, which this year was cloe to 40 pages when they were all printed. It takes two pieces of paper to print out 1 forum page, after that is done I then have to weed through them all and then scores birds fo rpeople that didn't score them on their own, but just posted the measurements, then weed through the ones that didn't put a team number on thier post and look through approx. 300 user names to find the team they were on. ooh I forgot the time it takes to try and pick fair teams. So yea it does take more time than you gave me credit for. But again I apologise for it taking me awhile to get it finished. I am not mad or even upset at anybody, I understand some of the concerns, but the fact is I didn't have the time I have before to devote to it. I will more than gladly step down adn let someone else run it next season. Just tell me what you want. Pat Ely
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Young and naive," Sorry I forgot to respect the elders of the internet message board. You act like reading and posting on a message board is rocket science, oh yeah and aswering PM's.

Anyway, we're beating a dead horse. I explained my frustration and, Pat, I'm glad you aren't upset about the criticism. No hard feelings on my part.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM

I signed up for the contest but was never placed on a team.Was looking every day to see if i was placed on a team but nothing

Quick Reply: Official contest FINAL SCORE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.