Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Finally...after a 4 year dry spell >

Finally...after a 4 year dry spell

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Finally...after a 4 year dry spell

Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
TDE
Spike

Default Finally...after a 4 year dry spell

Got one this morning! I slept right through my alarm clock so I was nearly an hour late getting to the field. It was getting light so I didn't want to risk going to the spot where I had put a gobbler to bed the night before. Instead, I went to the nearest corner of the farm I was hunting, hoping by chance one would be roosting nearby. About 15 minutes later there were 3 toms gobbling from way across the farm,near where I would have been had I gotten to the field on time. It took over an hour and a half of sweet talkingto make one of themdecide to make the trip to visit me from so far away.

Get this. He hung up at 47 yards way off to my right. I'm right handed and I was nervous about moving too much if I tried to reposition well enough to get a good shot. So, I slowy moved my gun to the right until I ran out of left arm to hold the forearm of my gun.What next? You do what you have to do. I learned that you can shoot a bird at a pretty good distance one handed! I'll chalk some of my success up to my red-dot sight. I doubt I could have aimed as well one-handed with out it.

20.74lbs
11/16" spurs
9 5/8" beard
Old 05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Finally...after a 4 year dry spell

Congradulations!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:30 PM

yea, its been 2 years now without a bird, i have never gotton one. my season ends 2marro so i wont get another shot. o well, always next year. congrads on the bird
Old 05-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: geterdun

yea, its been 2 years now without a bird, i have never gotton one. my season ends 2marro so i wont get another shot. o well, always next year. congrads on the bird
I went three years w/o a bird. only calling in one in that timeframe. opening morning on my 4th year, tanked one 30 min into the season. a week later i tagged out. It will come, just takes patience! good luck!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:33 PM
TDE
Spike

By the way, I didn't use any decoys this year. Last year I had 3 instances of birds coming inonly close enough to get a gander at my lifeless decoys and then turn and run. I don't have enough information to make a total conclusion yet, but I'm thinking that at least mid to late season they aren't quite as aggressive and so they are a little more weary.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Most toms will expect the hens to come to them...Visual = a hung up tom (typically). Usually when you have another tom in the decoy setup, they may come in, otherwise them boys come a lookin for some lovin!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excellant job TDE!!! Using one hand, thats awesome. I dont know if that would have crossed my mind in the woods. But like you said you persavere and do what you have to do. Congrats!!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

so happy for you
Old 05-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shot! Way to hang in there---sounds like you have some turkey to eat.

DP
Old 05-23-2006, 03:03 PM

Tell about the recoil. At that angle, didshooting giveyour shoulder/arm a bruise??

Quick Reply: Finally...after a 4 year dry spell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.