Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Other animals coming to decoys?  Share your experiences. >

Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:22 AM
TDE
Spike

Default Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

I was recently sharing one of my many fun hunting experiences and thought maybe others would enjoy tellling and hearing some stories.

A couple of seasons back I was nestled up against a spruce tree facing my decoys. I heard a noise coming from right behind me and in a flash a badger that was sneakingup and using mytree for cover went after my decoys. He ran up to them and hit the breaks about a foot away, probably because it wasstrange that they didn't move. He slowly went up to the closest one and sniffed it, then turned an ran. The funnest part was that he literally was within inches of me when he was sneaking in and ran by.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

I was set up on a field edge and had a jake and hen decoy out and had a pair of mallards land by them.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend, a red fox came in

2 weeks ago, 2 domestic dogs came running in hard

Last year, 2 hunters came into my decoys
Old 05-18-2006, 07:59 AM

i was working a tom when i heard him putt. a coyote ran right past him and within 10 yards of my decoys. he stopped when they didn't move and i was able to scare him off. then about 15 minutes later there was somenoise from behind me and 2 bucks in velvet showed up to snort and stomp at the decoys.eventually they moved off about 30 yards from thedecoys and were feeding in the field. to my amazement, i was able to call that spooked gobbler back into my spread and within the next half hour with the deer still standing there. needless to say theyfinally ran off when i dropped the hammer on Tom. was a pretty neat but nerveracking hunt.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a coyote come in to about 100yds away, but wouldn't come any closer
Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wasn't to my dekes but I slammed a coyote who came to my calling. It would have been nice to have dekes out to see what his reaction would have been. I rarely put decoys out depending on the situation.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a coyote come into within a few yards of my decoys last year, don't know if he was coming to my calling or to the decoys. He busted my partner and me as we were discussing whether we should nail him and he took off Also, I had a cat put the stalk on my decoys2 years ago, the funny thing was he didn't notice he was about to step on a camoflaged hunter he was so intent on the decoys. When I broke the silence, that cat must have jumped 3 feet in the air. Also, I've had hikers stop and talk about the turkey just standing over there...
Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a coyote come in last year in Vermont on opening morning, unfortunately he hung up about 60-70 yards out otherwise he would have gotten a load of supreme #4's. I have also had hunters stalk up on my decoys before, thats scare stuff.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

About 2 years ago when hunting in Kalkaska Mi. I was in a clear cut with 2 hen's & a jake decoy set-up, calling in a tom .
When the bird got within 50 yards or so I noticed what looked like a bob cat coming up to my decoy's when the cat got close the big tom flew off and left me just sitting there like a bump on a log.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM

I know they're not wild but this morning I had a bunch of Black Angus cattle (cows with calves) and a Charlet come in and surround my decoy like they were going to gang up and kill it... I scared the @#$ # out of them when I stood up needless to say.

Quick Reply: Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.