Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Other animals coming to decoys?  Share your experiences. >

Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

I've had a :
skunk
coyote (2x)
yearling deer
2 geese land
a hawk dive on a deke and pass real close

the coolest was the coyote that burst out of the treeline at a full run and veered off at the very last second when he realized they weren't real.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've called up a bobcat before. Dad has killed numerous coyotes turkey hunting. Me and him were hunting/calling and walked over a hill to a bobcat that was slipping up on us.

Other than that...not too many animals coming into my calling...other than turkeys...
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a fox take a run at my decoy one morning ,I seen him walk across the top of a hill and disappear, only to circle around to the bottom and come running out at my decoy ,when he hit the decoy it spun around and batted him right in the nose .He wasn't sure what to think of that .
I didn't want him to grab the decoy and run ,since this is what I thought he night just do ,so I whistled at him and he took off in a hurry .
That was definately the funniest thing I've experienced while turkey hunting.

nubo
Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a real big hawk take a swipe at one of my foam decoys once. He must've realized that it was fake just before contact, because he pulled back at the last second.

Another time, Ihad a bigheifer come over and inspect my dekes. She kinda looked at its head and studied it for a second.Then, she gave it a biglick and tipped it over. It was likethat blasted cowwas trying to screw around with me. I advised her that I was armed, and that she should stop screwing around with an armed man and his turkey hunting. I also advised her that I have a real penchant for fresh beef, and that I love the fresh taste of hamburger. The cow didn't seem to care much and just kinda stood there beside my tipped-over decoy, staring at me. Apparently, cattle aren't phased by idle threats. I was just happy she didn't chew it up.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:24 PM

Last year was the first year we could use decoys in Alabama. On the first day of the season 5 hens flew down to the 3 decoys I had set about 20 yards in a large field (thought each one was going to be the longbeard, but he never showed). After about 20 minutes of hanging around they began to get real excited and started scrambling around making a noise thay I have yet to hear again. About that time a red tail hawk zoomed by at eye level and tried unsuccessfully to grab one of the hens. The hawk peeled off. A minute later the crows started making a racket and were coming my way. They were swooping on that same hawk. The hawk then dove on one of the decoys. WHACK!! When he regained his composure the crows ******ed him out of sight.

Never saw a gobbler that morning---but the show was one of those things that make turkey hunting so much fun!!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Last year I was hunting turkey and was sitting in a dug out below a butte with a decoy out in front of me. I was 12 ft or so above my decoy and I was calling and out the corner of my eye I saw 2 coyotes come running from my left side. I could see the one but not the other one so I layed my call down and picked up the gun and the coyote jumped up from down below to where I was sitting and I shot him. It was 2 and half steps from where I was sitting.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 PM
neb
Typical Buck

One more I also have had turkey buzzards circle and come close to the decoys. I usually will try to get them to leave but they are presistant and like to hang aroung.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Spike

I had a squirrel sitting on a tree over my decoybarking at itfor about 30 minutes. Then he went down and walked around by it for about 10 minutes. Then all of a suddon he just ran off the other direction.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 AM

Once spring I had five deer come out into the field where I had a decoy set. About the same time, two hens came out into the field, and I could hear the tom gobbling in the woods near where the hens had entered the field. One of the deer and the hens started heading towards the decoy, and I held my breath for about fifteen minutes, fearing the deer would catch my scent, spook and spook the turkeys. The deer was comical, as, when it got closer to the decoy, she would stop and stare, sniff and stomp her foot, on "max alert". But she kept coming until she was about a foot from the decoy. A puff of wind gave the decoy a bit of motion and she jumped almost straight into the air. She did not turn to flight, however, but eventually decided she did not like being in a field with a decoy and headed away, in the direction of the rest of the herd.

Meanwhile, the hens moved off along the woods line, feeding nonchalantly. The tom that had been gobbling shut up and never did stick his head out into the field. I don't know what became of him, but later that week I whacked a tom on another set about 300 yards away, so that season was a success.

This spring I had a Pretty Boy (full strut tom) and Pretty Girl (hen ready to breed) decoy set 22 yards out in a field as my wife and I sat along the treeline, and my friend, who was late arriving, said he met another hunter who had said he was about to try to stalk the decoys until my friend told him he was looking at my decoy set. And then this same friend told me he put a partial sneak on another hunter's decoy set. That hunter had put out six decoys, and my friend thought he was sneaking a flock, until he got close. The hunter who had made the set was nowhere to be seen, and my friend figured he'd gone to lunch, as it was near noon.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

This past weekend I had three bucks with small velvet antlers come into my decoys and mill around for 5 min. I was 15 yds away, hadn't showered nothing scent-free and the didn't care!

Quick Reply: Other animals coming to decoys? Share your experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.